Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my in-laws was offered a Bauer M2 for a real good price and is asking me if this is a good reel??? I have always thought you would be paying for the name if you bought Bauer anything?? Am I wrong here? They feel fairly solid and smooth?? :dunno Any input. Thanks

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I was...my bad. I just heard the name and figured it was Eddie Bauer as they seem to put their name on everything ;). So do you have any input then on the Bauer reels?? Thanks

~Patrick ><>

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
Bauer makes a very fine reel. I own an M6 and use it for my spey rod. Bauer was one of the first companies to utilize the large arbor concept, and from there, alot of companies followed.

With any high end reel, you get what you pay for. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Skinny

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would have to disagree with you gentleman. I own a Bauer that I've had to the past three years and fished with from New Zealand to Australia to the Great Lakes. I've loved it, bashed it, and pounded it, and it's held up. However, about six months ago a notable fly fisherman I know happened to mention that he wouldn't fish a Bauer because when the reel got wet, the drag slipped. I made a point of telling him how much I disagreed.

Still misbelieving, I put it out of my head and went about my normal fishing life. The next time at the river, I noticed that when my reel got really wet, it would freespool when I pulled line off to cast. This only happened occasionally, so I had never noticed before. I played around and simulated a large fish on, and the reel freespooled and the line overspooled. Dangerous stuff! This didn't happen every time, but it did happen, enough so that I did a bit of research.

Apparently, it isn't the Bauer, it's cork drags in general. I have a beautiful little Ross San Miguel Two, and now that I've thought about it, it does it on occasion as well. For a while, I thought the drag was broken and almost returned the reel.

To sum it all up, yes, Bauer does make beautiful line holders. They also are very smooth and have the added benefit of not clicking when you reel them in. However, I've been thinking about being very careful when I purchase my next cork drag reel, about whether I shouldn't think about a composite, or even a full teflon. However, you do get your moneys worth out of a Bauer reel, and I doubt your paying for the name. They are excellent machining and have with-stood large amounts of general misuse from me.

Hope that helps,

worldanglr

Everything we've seen or seen, is but a dream within a dream.

Edgar Allen Poe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.