Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow flyfishers,

Yesterday, I submitted public testimony at the North of Falcon meeting where the salmon seasons for Washington, including Puget Sound, are set.

At a previous meeting, it was decided to close Area 9 to all fishing. This includes fishing from the beach for the month of July, which was open last year. I tried to get them to reverse the decision yesterday.

There is still time to voice your opinion. They will begin finalizing the rule changes this coming monday.

It appears that the WDFW does not have a model that includes beach fishing. In other words, they don't know how many people fish the beaches in July for early coho in an area that includes: Point No Point, Eglon, Salisbury Park, Marrowstone Island, and all the west shore of Whidbey Island. Area 9 affords the most opportunities in Puget Sound for catching coho from the shore.

I thought the closing was terribly unfair to people who: prefer to fish from the beach; don't have or can't afford boats; vacationing families at the State Parks (Casey, So. Whidbey, Flagler etc.) spending a summer vacation, including the 4th of July, during a down economy fishing from the beach; and definitely those of us who catch and release while flyfishing.

If you would like to voice your opinion while letting the WDFW know how many people fish from the beaches of Area 9, email:

Pat Patillo at: [email protected]

Phil Anderson at: [email protected]

Tony Floor at: [email protected]

Thanks,
Leland.

·
Registered
728 Posts
thats terrible, good lookin out posted this up, area 9 cant be beat during that time frame. I'm gonna send the emails after this post and then hit the key penninsula for maybe a fish. good fishing

will src's still be open then?

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
That really sucks. I'll email those guys as soon as my server comes back up. This a copy of what I'm sending,

"I only fly fish from the beach and I can't imagine that me and my fellow fly fishers make that much of an impact. If you allow Native Steelhead to be killed on the Sol Duc, then why would you even be concerned about what happens in the salt. Please make it a fly fishing only/C&R area. At least you would have some responsible people on the beach to help you report violators. With the budget cuts, I hope that you can at least keep the 1-800 number open to report poachers. I wouldn't have bought my saltwater license on the first of this month if I had known you were going to shut down area 9. God damn it, what the hell is going on down there at the WDFW. I'm sorry, but I'm pissed. I want a refund on my saltwater license! That is like someone selling cable TV and then cutting the cable to the house. You fraudulently sold me a license I can't use."

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
OK, email is sent. Give me more email addresses. What is Gary Locke's addy? Man, I'm pissed. I'd move to Canada, but those whimps wouldn't even join the WAR!

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Things must really be bad if the Department of Maximum Sustained Yield -- I mean -- WDFW is closing something. What species are they trying to protect in closing this marine area? Do you believe beach fishing is unlikely to affect that (those) species?

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Thank you Leland, Another good example of a tragic management catastrophe in washington. We have to get on this now.Phone calls, letters,emails, RAISE HELL!
Even if you do not fish in area 9 this will have an impact on future decisions for your own areas, in either fresh or saltwater. The point is that if they know we are watching and involved, they will consider our input. If we remain silent, we get what they shove at us.Let them know we are involved. Now.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Those cowards haven’t emailed me back. They are running scared for Baghdad, I know it. What is Gary Locke’s home phone number? I got to get our congressman’s email. I don’t care if they have a war to deal with. They’re going to have a civil war at home. You hear me Washington Department of Frickin’ Wussies. Mad…I am so damn mad. If I don’t calm down before I get to work, everybody on my unit is going to get a suppository whether they need it or not.

Matt

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I emailed and phoned them all. They are at the North of Falcon Meetings. I called Russ Cahill, Chair of the WDF&W Commissioners, he didn't know anything about it, but he promised to get involved. I left a phone message with Pete Van Gytenbeek, another Comissioner, who is out of town.

The problem is that they can do these things with very little public input or scrutiny. The North of Falcon process needs a tune-up. I wonder how our State Council of Trout Unlimited voted on this issue?

If WDF&W thought they could disregard the beach fishermen on the basis of not knowing that there were a significant number of them, then I think it is time that the beach fishermen got up off of their asses and spoke up. It does point out the sad fact that the WDF&W actually does not know what kind of beach fishery they have in area 9. Maybe next year, if they hear from all of us, they will reconsider. It may be too late to slap them into shape now.

As I understand it at this point, this all came about as a trade off for a spring Blackmouth kill fishery in April. So how dumb is that? I think this was a carefully orchestrated move by a small group of intere$ted parties, boat captains etc. So it should be no surprise that it comes as a surprise. My current impression is that it will not exclude fishermen who are fishing the legal saltwater trout regulations in the same area. And sea run Cutthroat trout fishing for catch and release will still be available. I can not promise all of that is true though. Just my impression.

If you do not call the commissioners and complain, write to the WDF&W managers and complain, if you do not raise a rash of hell over this, then you have no right to whine about it later. Get involved.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well said.

It would appear that people who fish from beaches are considered insignificant. I accused them of engaging in economic descrimination by choosing boats in April over beach fishers in July. I also accused them of being socially irresponsible by taking away a recreation resource so close to home during these difficult economic times.

Leland

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.