Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I've never worn waders in the heat, even in frigid glacial water. I wet wade. Usually don't carry much anyways this time of year, so most will fit in a chest pocket or hung on a lanyard.

Out very first Project Healing Waters trip was on the little Deschutes around 8 years ago. It was literally 100+ degrees out and no breeze. I had shorts, water socks, and a pocket shirt on. I watched as all these other volunteers put on layering pants and chest waders. Then all out standard style vests filled. Funny, most were sweating buckets by time they even hit the water. Then most bitched about the heat. I just shook my head.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I wear waders from time to time even in the summer. For one thing, just doesn't get that hot up here in the 4th corner. For another, any number of the 3wt mtn streams I hit in the summer are pretty shaded, up at some elevation, have glacier cold water even in august, or all three.

That said, I wet wade a lot also.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
I tend to run a bit more warm blooded and it takes special circumstances to find me in any type of shorts. I like to cover up from the elements, both the cold and the sun. If I'm in a boat like this last weekend in 80 plus degrees than yes, I did not wear waders, but I did bring a light jacket just in case. I rarely wet wade!

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
Waders on Rocky Ford kinda crack me up too. I mean legally you can't wade.....
In the creek you can't wade, but those damn muskrat holes are fair game. I wear mine while there most of the seasons for reasons far beyond wading. I do though wear my boat waders versus my wading waders. Don't tell me you don't understand the difference.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.