Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

At what age do you start wearing waders when it is 90 degrees outside?

9K views 124 replies 44 participants last post by  dust in the wind 
#1 ·
I see that a lot on our local waters. Can't imagine it being comfortable.

#7 ·
I've never worn waders in the heat, even in frigid glacial water. I wet wade. Usually don't carry much anyways this time of year, so most will fit in a chest pocket or hung on a lanyard.

Out very first Project Healing Waters trip was on the little Deschutes around 8 years ago. It was literally 100+ degrees out and no breeze. I had shorts, water socks, and a pocket shirt on. I watched as all these other volunteers put on layering pants and chest waders. Then all out standard style vests filled. Funny, most were sweating buckets by time they even hit the water. Then most bitched about the heat. I just shook my head.

#9 ·
I wear waders from time to time even in the summer. For one thing, just doesn't get that hot up here in the 4th corner. For another, any number of the 3wt mtn streams I hit in the summer are pretty shaded, up at some elevation, have glacier cold water even in august, or all three.

That said, I wet wade a lot also.

#10 ·
I tend to run a bit more warm blooded and it takes special circumstances to find me in any type of shorts. I like to cover up from the elements, both the cold and the sun. If I'm in a boat like this last weekend in 80 plus degrees than yes, I did not wear waders, but I did bring a light jacket just in case. I rarely wet wade!

#23 ·
every year I pack waders in to a remote section of Yellowstone, and never wear them. Last week same thing, wading wet was perfect.The older I get the less tolerant I am to heat.But then I have worked outside every year for close to 30 years in Montana.Wishing I had something over my legs a week ago fishing a creek when I inadvertently pushed through some stinging nettles.:(:(:(....and I thought they were just in Warshington.:D

#25 ·
Good one swimmy.

I especially love all the sports in guide boats wearing waders. They never get out of the boat. Still wearing waders in 80+...

Did my first wet wading last weekend. Glacial runoff is a bit cold even in 90 but I'd rather be chilly than sweaty.
When it's 90+ I am seeking the glacial runoff. There's nothing like descending into that refreshing microclimate That surrounds a cold river when it's hot as balls out. Love it.

#29 ·
Well Oddly enough I wear waders in 30 degree weather. Shorts, T-shirt, ankle socks, and I generally have the belt on. If I need to cool down I just drop the straps off the shoulders and wear them as hips.

Few things. Core temp stays warmer so I can fish longer, handy pouch in the waders so I can pack light, wading past the balls is not an issue, Feet stay dry, I can stuff two rod set ups down the waders and carry three rods, and....wait I am positive there is another one....ah right of course.

Mosquitos cannot bite through waders.

not to mention as I have a backpack I can always take off my waders off.

I am also 22 and in good shape so I can take the heat pretty well, but I do leak like a sieve.

#31 ·
I enjoy cold waters, especially streams, to fish in. I use the water to cool me off.

Trout like temps around 55 degrees. It is refreshing to cool off in the water.

Call me a fair weather fisherman but when waders are necessary, it is TOO COLD - period!

PS: My waders are one of the first Gortex waders produced. Any guess the last time they were used? BTW they do not leak due to usage - LOL.

#35 ·
When I had enough of bug bites, leeches, scraped-up/scratched shins, muddy/cold legs, slips/falls due to inapproriate footwear, sting nettle rashes, etc.. When you grow-up wet wading or wearing leaky, hand-me-down hippers two sizes too big growing-up in Montana (if you were lucky), having comfortable waders & being dry when fishing was an eagerly-accepted transition.). Neos in the winter & breathables (either pant or zip fronts during the balance of the year). I live in sun country & have always turned a deep shade of brown in the summer & don't burn easily, but I have no problem wearing waders when fishing and tend to cover-up when in/on the water. I also don't do a lot of wade fishing anymore and am not a fan of tiny livestock visiting my nether regions when float-tubing. My wader wardrobe exceeds my slacks wardrobe (that's a shut-out, lol), but cargo shorts/pants, jeans & sweats lead the race . . . they just aren't my preferred fishing attire. I'm 68 & in good shape and I also have an evaporitive cooling system that works great!

#37 ·
Quick-dry synthetic zip off pants and Ex Officio boxer briefs are the only way to fly in summer.

I don't wade fish a lot of places with substantial populations of leeches. If I did, I would probably make an exception. I was traumatized by that scene in "Stand By Me" as a kid.

I don't know how I dealt with the heat of the SE US. I used to work and play in it. I'd get so sweaty my clothes would be soaked head to knees. I just can't hang with it anymore. I'm like a delicate little glacier lily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.