Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the talk of saltwater flyfishing boats, what are your thoughts on auxiliary power on small boats for Puget Sound? Are backup motors a good safety item or just more to go wrong? When I had a two stroke outboard with two carbs, the two carbs meant that the engine would still run with one carb fouled. With the new engines, fuel injection is more common. The new engines are extremely reliable, but ..........are kicker engines a worthwhile item on small boats in Puget Sound?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
If the boat is too large to row, I'd strongly suggest you consider mounting a kicker. Where I fish, Area 9, the current will take you to trouble quickly and the kicker is really the smart choice.

If your boat is a 14' aluminum, than I would get a 25hp honda and pair of oars as a kicker (Plust a good anchor and lots of anchor line)

Enjoy

·
Not Politically Correct
276 Posts
How about an electric motor as a backup?
A couple of years ago a installed a 24v Minn-Kota bow mount trolling motor on my 17 Trophy CC. With the remote it's really nice positioning myself along a beach to cast or even with its somewhat autopilot you can hold yourself stationary in the current when casting to a particular spot. At full tilt it can pull the boat at about 2.5 knots. After a day of fishing I'm not sure how long the batteries will last. I do have mine set up to charge when the main outboard is on. Being the nervous type as I make my living on the water and know the value of redundancy so I installed a 9.9 hp Suzuki kicker this year. Now I know I can get back unless I'm out of fuel...I won't allow that to ever happen. Or course I guess you could get water in the fuel......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check, recheck, then check things again. It sounds funny but it does work. My theory is when I’m on the water, I have to be as self sufficient as possible. That means, at least 2 sources of moving the boat, if not three.

It amazes me that people go out unprepared and then get mad because their boat/motor fails. If they took the time upfront to test, maintain, and run their equipment, they wouldn’t find out on the water that the motor needs new plugs or the gas is bad.

I have a 16’ Lund that is powered by a 15hp 2 stroke Suzuki, backed up with a 30# Minnkota trolling motor, backed up with a good set of oars. Depending on where I am fishing, (sometimes electric only) there are either 2 or 3 power sources on the boat.

However, (knock on wood) nothing has ever failed me because I make sure I am well prepared for the inevitable. The motors are always test ran prior to leaving the driveway, there are always extra plugs and tools on the boat, and the battery and fuel tanks are always topped off.

Doing a little of the leg work upfront has always paid off in an enjoyable stress free day on the water.

·
Physhicist
4,022 Posts
No matter how much testing you do on your equipment while in the driveway things can still go sideways on the water. Having a kicker as a backup is a good idea. Ideally it would have it's own fuel source in case of tainted fuel in the main tank.

·
Not Politically Correct
276 Posts
Any guy named Kim shouldn't be allowed to poke fun at others.

Nice looking Labs!
Yeah well you know. I think my mother wanted a girl after having my two older brothers. I was supposed to be named Kimberly but having the girl didn't quite work out so I ended up being Kimbrey...how the hell she came up with that is anyone's guess. It's quite funny actually. The wife and I go out to dinner and half the time the wait-person will hand the credit card to my wife. It's a big joke between us.

Of the two labs in the picture we lost the black one (Char) a couple of years ago. She was close to 13. The yellow (Sage) is still kicking though very slow. Sad watching her slow down so much but she still smiles a lot when we go on walks. We have a two year old yellow (Tater) that replaced Char. Man that one is a real handful...thief, chewer, you name it but a lap dog at the same time. Gotta love um no matter what.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.