Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the greatest day I have ever had on the Yakima. I left work a little early this afternoon so that I could get in a little fishing before the day is over. I was in an office all day and it drives me nuts when I walk outside and it is nearly shorts and t-shirt weather so I had to go. Anyways, I head into the canyon and am fishing at the next turn off above Roza (the slab?) I was wading and having a hard time; I hooked only 1 fish that I lost almost immediately. I decided that I would fish up around the bend and then I would call it a day and go back to my truck. I am working my way up the bank when a guy in a boat pulls up to me and asks if I would like to ride with him and fish. I turned him down a couple of times but he twisted my arm and I jumped in. It turns out that this guy is Derek Jordan, a guide for The Evening Hatch. Almost immediately Derek gets me into some of the best fish I have ever caught, using a huge skwala dry and I continue to hook about a dozen really nice fish up until we get to Roza (all within 2 hours). I can't thank Derek enough; he was nice enough to just pick up some guy he doesn't know but then he guides me for free into the best trout fishing experience I have ever had on the Yakima. If anyone out there is in need of a great guide who will teach you a lot then I would go with Derek Jordan.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Those are great fish, and just when you think coming around the bend is a potential competitor, a super cool comrade shows up, very cool !

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I should have bought a lottery ticket; can't believe I didn't think of that! I had some vests made up with company logos for clients of mine and I gave him one in return and we exchanged cards. The whole time I was thinking of what I could give Derek and I remembered the vests in my back seat. It definitely wasn't an even trade though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Paul;

I agree that Derek is a fine fellow and very good guide. My son and I fished with him in March 2008. Derek took the time to show my son, who had never fly fished before, some of the basic techniques and he caught some very nice rainbows -- probably using the very same Skwala pattern you used. It was a memorable trip.

John P.

·
Dad, Angler, Guide
240 Posts
That's a great report, thanks for sharing.

Kudos to Derek and his desire to share his love for the YAK. That's admirable. I've been in that situation floating alone and need to snag bank anglers more, as what comes around goes around. Derek earned some major karma on this kind act.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.