Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work with a couple of Canadians who describe the lake fishing up near Kamloops as an unbelievable experience. I thought that since I live in Bellingham I might take a few trips up there this summer. Anybody have experience up there? What might be some good books or resources? What are good patterns? These guys were talking about incredible action with sedge patterns. Any information out there would be great. :thumb

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
BC is home to literally thousands of lakes, if stillwater is your game. The Okanogan region has famous Kamloops trout in their waters. I read somewhere that they are not actually a unique strain of trout but an enviromental adaptation of rainbows. Bring them "south" and they act like local rainbows. But I do digress...the site that is listed in the post above is information rich and one that will help you plan your trip. Besides lounge chair planning, just head up there and talk with the locals. Some lakes there get hot and cold just like ours.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is an unbelievable experience!! I go fishing up there every year, about 50k above Kamloops. Amazingly fun hiking in to a new lake (or chain of lakes) every day and be able to fight big, healthy Kamloops trout(IMO, nothing fights better). There wasn't a day were we weren't the only people on the water.

Here's a great resource, www.littlefort.com. The fly patterns listed work in most BC lakes and they sell a very good map of all the lakes in the Little Fort area.

Good luck! :beer2

G

·
IveofIone
I will second the Little Fort reference. Contact Steve Jennings at the Little Fort Fly Shop and if possible book a guide trip with him when you first arrive. You will learn so much about fishing the area in just that one day. The rest of your trip will be that much easier with the benefit of your new-found knowledge. Camping can be anything from a flat spot near a lake at the end of a 4WD road to an improved campground where you drive out to different lakes each day all the way to an RV site where you can park your rig and enjoy your air conditioning in a mosquito free environment. Many lodges are available if even more luxury is necessary.
Two maps and guides I would suggest are: A Flyfishers Guide to the Nehalliston Lakes and a Flyfishers Guide to the Interlakes and 100 Mile Area.
Catching the sedge hatch is pure magic and should you ever hit it right you will never forget it. Big fish taking big flies all around you-pretty damned exciting! Wear a diaper! Ive

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm with all of the above the Little Fort Fly Shop is great. They also have a fly shop in Kamloops. The Little Fort Shop isn't open all year and I don't know when it does open. We were in the area last June for a week and had a very good time. Fishing was great even though my wife and I were fairly new to flyfishing. We fished mostly olive calibatis nymphs and olive six packs but did fish some dries. The hatches were about 2 weeks late where we were at so we did not get into any of the famous travling sedge hatches. I am hoping that we can make it up there again this summer.

We stayed a a resort that has about 15 lakes in the area with a boat on most of them. You signup for where you are going so that there is only 2 or 3 fisherman on the lake at a time. The cabins were rustic with kitchens and camp sites were also available.

As you can see I am from Bellingham also. Contact me by e-mail and maybe we can get together and I can tell you more about the area around Little Fort.

lastcall

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fish till ya drop.Then suck it up and fish the evening hatch.

Can't say enuff about high flying Kamloops. I've seen 5#ers get 5 feet into the air.

Littlefort area and the Bonaparte Plateau is good, but there are some problems with many lakes having spawning and skinny fish in early summer. You have to be selective and hit the right windows.

Merrit and Kamloops area generally has richer lakes though on many of the best you won't fish alone.

Some resource references you generally will need but will have to buy when you get there:
1) BC Backroad Mapbook (a must) also has some discussion of fishing prospects. Several volumes by local areas.
2) Fishing BC by Mussio Ventures. Discussions on many of the better lakes by region as well as bathometric maps on the lakes discussed.
3) BC Fishing...a freshwater Directory and Atlas published by BC outdoors.
4) A Flyfishers Guide to the Nehalliston Lakes (Bonaperte plateau) by Domac Holdings LTD.

That should get you through, though it helps to have updated local office BC forestservice maps too.
Go fish.....catch monster kams. Oh yeah, I can harly wait!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Not to throw cold water, but there are some problems, mainly the damn border crossing has become so tough that I think I won't go up there anymore, ending a 35 year tradition. So sad. Coming home and if you cross at Sumas and you find yourself behind a line of of trucks that streches to Abbotsford, try to remember this tip. Though the road is only a one lane each direction, pull out into oncoming traffic when you see a gap. Move to the American booth at a safe but swift speed, remember you are really a caddis hole when you do this. But you will save hours of waiting. Seems the Canadians don't give a fat feather if you ever get home. And the American agent will probably have a thick German accent with connections to the bunkers under Berlin. T'aint fun MaGee.
And if you crack a joke or even smile, it's shed number 4 for you, buddy of mine. The wheels come off, the door panels checked, four hours of time blown, etc.
Hangin' out with my Washies from now on; sure, they're
jerks, but there's no border. Goodbye, my dearest and only Canadian friends. I still ya. Always have and always will. As for your province, it should be declared a world treasure because it is.
Bob L.
:bawling
P.S. You can have my spot. Try Roche Lake; fish near the lodge just beyond the reeds on the drop off. Use chironomids 9 ft. deep. Hardest fighting rainbows you'll ever get--two to three pounds. Don't fish until June.

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
AH, THE FEELING OF BEING IN WATER I'VE BEEN IN FOR OVER HALF MY LIFE. THOSE WATERS BRING BACK ALL SORTS OF MEMORIES. LOOK INTO A BOOK CALLED THE GILLY, BUY ALF DAVEY. OLDER BOOK YET STILL VERY INFORMATIVE. FISHED TOGETHER WITH THAT MAN FOR YEARS, AND HE KNOWS HIS STUFF. GO CHECK OUT JIMMY LAKE, WHITE LAKE, AND OF COURSE, SHERIDAN. ALL HAVE GREAT CHIRONOMID HATCHES . THE BOOK ALSO SHOWS PATTERNS AND MATERIAL LISTS.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Last summer my dad was heading up to vancouver to catch a flight to Ontario for a hydroplane race. Being a driver he had his air mask and all his air equipment, radio equipment, etc. Needless to say he was detained by the canadian government for about ten hours in a little room with nothing but his clothes. He had proof of what he was doin and all that but of course that didnt make any difference. Missed his flight, didnt get to race, sponsors were out the money... Anyway, to make a long story short, he has also vowed never to go to canada again.

Tyler

Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.