Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well me and my wife just found out we are expecting our first child. :)

My goal is to have the kid fishing by the time he/she is 2

We’re going to Longbeach this week for Thanksgiving.
I hit me this morning that we could try surf fishing. When I asked her if she wanted to try it she said yes (with a look like “of course, are you an idiot”)

Here’s the problem I have no idea how to surf fish.

Any ideas or tips anyone can give me would be great.

I was planning on using my spey rod with a shooting head.

What flies should I try?
Where on the beach should we go?
Is there a fly shop on the peninsula I should check out?
Can anyone recommend a website where I can do some research.

I apologize for posting a “hold my hand and catch the fish for me” type post, but I really want to be able to get one last good trip in with my wife before our lives change forever.

--Mike

·
My name is Mark Oberg
1,523 Posts
I live in long beach wa. If you want some silver's or steelhead the place to go is naselle river. I go there alot. I have caught over two dozen silvers there this winter, One steelhead, And one ?. look me up when you get here I will take you to the hole's.
typical salmon and steelhead fly's will do fine. depends on the weather for the color. No fly shop here or a website.

http://ARackSpace.com

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Congradulations! I will gladly run out and smoke a cigar for you right now! :THUMBSUP

Now, when the child is born, can I be the first to pick over your gear for the good stuff you won't be using any longer? :BIGSMILE

As to surf fishing, there was an article in NW Flyfishing about a year ago on surf perch, but after Rainbow's offer, I would forget the perch and go catch a salmon.

The Estuary Flyfisher, and Flyfishing: Trout and Beyond and a couple other books will answer most of your questions.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Sounds like good advice to me. I drove south today and ended up at the Grays River and got skunked fishing downstream from the Hwy 4 bridge. As I was leaving at dusk, a local told me the steelies weren't in the Grays yet. There were alot of cars and about half a dozen fishers "suiting up" in the boatlaunch parking lot at the Naselle R. Hwy 4 bridge. That had been my intended goal, to fish down to the mouth of Salmon Creek, but the crowd there put me off. That was probably where the fish were, though. Being a contrarian sometimes backfires, as the crowd usually piles onto where the fish are running. Nice drive through beautiful countryside, nice to be on the Grays with the water low and clear, and a sunset lightshow for the drive home...not a bad skunking. Try again in a couple weeks.
Next time I'm due for a hookup! Tomorrow, checkin the Canal for chums on my way north to Sequim for T-day with the clan. Friday head west of P.A. to ??

:CLOWN Jimbo

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
the Washington marine forecast is calling for 10 to 11 foot swell tomorrow, dropping to 7 feet on T-day and friday, and rebuilding to 12 feet on saturday. The guys who surf fish around Westport/Grayland generally avoid the bigger surf days in the winter. I have only surf fished in the summer, when the waves are alot smaller and when warmer water is present. (The sea surface water temp varies from about 45 to 60+ depending on season, currents, El Nino, etc.) Cold water sends the perch away (to where??) and large surf may be a challenge to fish in. Have a good T-day whatever you do. :YUM

-Jimbo

·
My name is Mark Oberg
1,523 Posts
Another good spot is mid nema. Not south not north but mid. The bait chuckers hang at north, south is to shallow, and mid is just right.
A nice pool there. and the river is full of little hole's. And nobody ever there. Well except for me and a few other's that go there once in a while.

http://ARackSpace.com

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Be careful out there, especially now. As for flyshops on the peninsula, Waters West in Port Angeles, Rocky Brook Rod and Hackle, also in Port Angeles,The Port Townsend Angler, in Port Townsend, and the Northwest Angler in Poulsbo after the Bainbridge Island Ferry on the way up toward Hood Canal.All are great shops and tons of good info from them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody for your responses. We just got back home. I must say the weather was perfect. The swells did seem a little high for my taste. My wife didn't make it out fishing, but I did sneak off down to the beach a couple of times. No fish but it was fun throwing a shooting head with spey rod and a stripping basket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.