Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Great Sage
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tied a fly to simulate a baby mouse? How well do fly's that simulate a mouse work in the Northwest?

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
There was a recent mouse fly swap, why swap them if they don't work? I have a few but have not tossed them yet, when the time is right I will. I have heard stories...

·
fly fishing addict
31 Posts
i've used a mouse pattern succesfully for bass but for nothing else. They seem to work best in the evening fishing from the shore in, like they are swimming back. I've fished them a few different times during the day with no avail.

That being said i've have much better luck using poppers. you'll definately have a higher catch rate

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,755 Posts
I've fished them occasionally for trout with limited success, although there is a spot down here in Oregon that during certain times of the year trout will absolutely hammer them. I like to tie them moorish style but using a palmered natural squirrel strip for the body (then with the black foam on top for flotation), then for the tail, I'll cut a very thin strip of rabbit and take all of the hair off except the very tip. I'll also tie these on salmon hooks with the upturned eye...don't know if that makes a difference but it works for me. If you're using them for bass you might want to put a weed guard of some sorts on that.

oh, size 4 or 6 on the hooks

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
I have used mouse/shrew patterns at night on Pass Lake for browns. They work, but, almost anything that lands on the water with a splash will work for big browns at night.

·
wishin' i was fishin'
870 Posts
i do, i use antelope hair and hide. i burn the hide with a lighter to darken it up and get all the hair ends off. tie in a 1/8th inch by 2 inch strip for the tail. then spin antelope up til 1/4th of the hook is left then tie in more hide as ears, then spin more antelope til you reach the eye, whip finish twice, trim to your likings!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.