Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are a couple of tying videos to look at when you have time.
The first is a quick tie based upon the classic Clouser minnow pattern that Arfly mentioned, but without tying down the head after the barbell eyes. This pattern worked well for me with just about every species of predator fish. Caught a lot of landlocked salmon on the fly in Maine!
When weighted the fly has an excellent jigging action as you strip it in.
I would tie some with brass or lead barbell eyes to make the fly sink or just use plastic craft string beads to keep the fly near the surface.

Embellishment Textile Body jewelry Bridal accessory Jewellery
Automotive lighting Drinkware Tableware Stemware Gesture

Terrestrial plant Moisture Liquid Fashion accessory Metal

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc5GOj4cUZo

This second video is an excellent shad pattern with clear epoxy over the head and eyes. This will be much more difficult to tie and get it to look right.
Automotive lighting Insect Fluid Plant Arthropod

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XycoQajgJwI

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings,
Mulepadre, has just given better advice to you than I was going to suggest. I, as you will, do follow his advice adn suggestions. Anyhow, for my tow cents plain: go to Dr.Goggle and look up the Global Flyfisher and typw in Small Bait fish Patterns, as well go the site of Small Baitfish Patterns by Bob Popvich. Both are and have wonderful suggestions. Use big eyes, and ep Fibers of teh Ferrero Fibers and have fun catching.

I take a handful of small baitfish Flies on my Saltwater Adventures. Tie up a few in a variety of Colors, shades and tones. But a samll amount of Krystal Flash in the mix, and I suggest teh you either use an Epoxy or blue light goop head and cover teh eyes with your mixture.

Rosey.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The first is a quick tie based upon the classic Clouser minnow pattern that Arfly mentioned, but without tying down the head after the barbell eyes. This pattern worked well for me with just about every species of predator fish. Caught a lot of landlocked salmon on the fly in Maine!
I would tie some with brass or lead barbell eyes to make the fly sink or just use plastic craft string beads to keep the fly near the surface.

View attachment 372476 View attachment 372477

View attachment 372474

This second video is an excellent shad pattern with clear epoxy over the head and eyes. This will be much more difficult to tie and get it to look right.
View attachment 372475

Tight Lines!
Lok that 2nds video!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings,
Mulepadre, has just given better advice to you than I was going to suggest. I, as you will, do follow his advice adn suggestions. Anyhow, for my tow cents plain: go to Dr.Goggle and look up the Global Flyfisher and typw in Small Bait fish Patterns, as well go the site of Small Baitfish Patterns by Bob Popvich. Both are and have wonderful suggestions. Use big eyes, and ep Fibers of teh Ferrero Fibers and have fun catching.

I take a handful of small baitfish Flies on my Saltwater Adventures. Tie up a few in a variety of Colors, shades and tones. But a samll amount of Krystal Flash in the mix, and I suggest teh you either use an Epoxy or blue light goop head and cover teh eyes with your mixture.

Rosey.
Great suggestions!

·
Registered
41 Posts

View attachment 372476 View attachment 372477

View attachment 372474

View attachment 372475

Tight Lines!
Awesome patterns!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sexy shad colors: Blue over chartreuse over white work well as a whistler or a Clouser. Next session at the vise I am going to tie up some mega Half & Half flash tail versions for big stripers and just about everything else too.

Casey Smart tie a jig hook version that is all Crystal flash topped with grey and it works well on all types of bass.

The colors don't seem that important but the size does at times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts