Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Now fishing on weekdays too!
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading back to the Yakima canyon with my Water Master on Tuesday for three days of mid-week fishing. Looks like nice warm days under partly sunny skies.:thumb: Hoping the big drys will still do the trick after two weeks have passed.:hmmm:

I originally had the Methow in my sights, but it sounds like a lot of pressure now due to the steelhead season opening (and sounds like without the benefit of many fish there yet).

So, it is the Yak, then I will probably stop and wade somewhere on the Wenatchee for steel during the return trip. Plan B on the return would be to try out my new Classic Trout 3wt for the little guys in the small streams on either side of the pass, and enjoy a little different terrain.

A couple of questions:

1) Being that it is still early... How high up will the summer steelfaces be in numbers on the Wenatchee?

2) Is a 6wt enough rod? Or should I pack an 8wt also?

A 3wt, 4wt, and 6wt or 8wt; I think I need to pare down my choice of rods or targeted waters.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Gregg, it's been really slow on the Wenatchee. Saturday I had to go into town and saw absolutely NO ONE on the river!! When I'm on the river, I fish an 8wt Spey. You might think about targeting the Icicle, which is fishing really well right now. Fish the deep holes with a nymph or maybe a streamer.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
As to what wt rod to bring?
I would have one 3wt, one 4wt, two 5wts and two 7wts and now I have a 13'6" 9wt two hander so I would have to have that along also.
What if ya broke one?
Ya can't have enough rods, or bullets, whiskey, fresh horses, and wild women. Sorry I was letting the DD out of his cage.

·
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex and Gary, thanks for your observations, advice and recommendations. Might just just try out that new 3wt CT on the Icicle. I love fishing that water.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Greg,

September is early for many steelhead to be in the Wenatchee. What fish are there are scattered throughout, but mostly well downstream of Tumwater Canyon. The river has been high since it opened last Wednesday, which is why there haven't been a lot of anglers and the catching is slow. The river is dropping and becoming fishable, but I don't expect the fishing to really pick up until the end of the month or early October.

As to your gear assortment, the 6 wt will do, especially if it's got a stiff butt section, but the 8 wt will do better if you cannot cast the 6 wt as far as the 8.

Sg

·
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sg! Great information.

Of course it's not so much about the catching, but rather the fun of fishing in productive waters. I like to know I have a reasonable chance to bring a fish to hand. So even if it turns out to be for the atmoshere, the practice, or just to gain a little experience on a stretch of water... there is always true anticipation!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.