Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Josh
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a single hand skagit that came with a mono running line and also a Skagit Flight Head that I have mono running line for. What knots do you guys use to make your connections?

Backing to running line?

Running Line to Head? Loop?

Thanks,

Josh

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
backing to running line, i've been using albright knot with UV knot sense.

Running line to head, built loop to loop.

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
I tie an overhand knot 10-15" (depending how big you want your loop) from the tag then come back with the tag and nail knot it behind the overhand knot. The tag end runs in line with the mono. Another good one is the double surgeons but it's a little bulkier, especially with heavier mono. I would avoid knots like the perfection loop or non-slip mono loop because when finished the tag ends stick out at either 90 degrees or as in the case of the non-slip mono loop, in the shooting direction of your line- requiring a shit ton of knot sense to hide. The goal is to use the strongest loop knot with the smallest profile because it will be running through the guides a lot, especially during close quarters casting. Be sure to coat it with knot sense to help smoothen it out.

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,838 Posts
What about with mono running line? I haven't unwound the spool to see if there is a built in loop.
There won't be a loop o those. Depending on the running line, I'll either use a triple surgeons on the flat stuff (Rio Slickshooter works well with this), or a Bimini twist on the round stuff (FrogHair, Amensia, BigGame XT).

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,838 Posts
I tie an overhand knot 10-15" (depending how big you want your loop) from the tag then come back with the tag and nail knot it behind the overhand knot. The tag end runs in line with the mono. Another good one is the double surgeons but it's a little bulkier, especially with heavier mono. I would avoid knots like the perfection loop or non-slip mono loop because when finished the tag ends stick out at either 90 degrees or as in the case of the non-slip mono loop, in the shooting direction of your line- requiring a shit ton of knot sense to hide. The goal is to use the strongest loop knot with the smallest profile because it will be running through the guides a lot, especially during close quarters casting. Be sure to coat it with knot sense to help smoothen it out.
Just out of curiosity, doesn't that make the knot like a 60% knot?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
triple overhand knot for the head to running line connection. i like about a 12" loop for ease of changing heads and so the knot works as a reference point on head placement for casting. i.e. strip up to the knot and let 'er rip.

For the backing to the mono, i use a perfection loop or a triple overhand and tie a double clinch to the loop.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For running line to mono backing, I use a nested nail knot. I like it because it's small and has a nice taper to both ends, helping it slide through the guides, even more so after finishing it with a little UV Knot Sense.

If you haven't tied one before, see Anil's instructions below from another thread. Start at STEP 2 and metnally replace "Dacron" with "running line."

"This is a very effective connection for fly line to backing, and is the one we use the most here at the shop. It takes a little more time but that connection (when it’s needed) can be extremely critical.
STEP 1: Take a section of thin backing (20lb. works best) and tie a two turn nail knot onto the last 8 inches of fly line. Pull this tight. It will seat and begin bighting into the PVC coating of the fly line. If you continue to pull, the knot will strip this plastic coating off of the fly line.
STEP 2: You now have roughly eight inches of Dacron core exposed on the back end of your fly line. Take this material and tie a 5 turn nail knot onto the backing of the reel (approximately 10 inches onto the backing).
STEP 3: Flip these lines 180 degrees and now tie a five turn nail knot with your backing onto the core of the fly line.
STEP 4: Pull on the standing ends of both the fly line and your backing. The two knots will slide towards one another and seat or ‘nest’ with each other.
STEP 5: To make this already small and unobtrusive knot slide through the guides even easier, coat it with U.V. Knot Sense (or similar glue) and you are done.

A few notes: This knot is extremely strong and slim, making it perfect for backing to fly line (since this knot will hopefully be flying out through your guides). You should use additional turns if you are using GSP backing as it is more slippery.
Anil"

·
Registered
836 Posts
For the running line (amnesia) I tie a bemini twist and connect that loop to the loop in the back of the shooting head. Works great for me so far. Most of the time the bimini twist is just outside the last guide so it doesn't interfere with the shooting of the head.

·
You're only so smart as what you choose to share.
412 Posts
10'' double surgeon loops at both ends of the mono (in my case its 30lb amnesia), bimini at the backing.

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
I was just giving james shit. I've bent out 1/0 hooks using this knot and though I don't know the % strength I can tell you it's plenty strong especially when using heavier mono 30# and up. I don't know about you fellas but I like to fish under branches and sometimes that requires starting with the head well inside the guides with the anticipation of a 60' cast. A big knot banging through the guides will fuck that up every once in a while and maybe even take off your tip section if you weren't careful that morning...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.