Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I'm setting up an outfit for steelheading and I need an opinion on backing. More precisely Dacron, or Micron, or Gel-Spun??

I've got Dacron on my 4 weight, not that I've ever been into the backing, but hey... I do test it out every now and then and it's still just fine! But it sounds like if I ever actually hook a steelhead I stand a good chance of getting to use the backing - hence the question. Anyone know if the spendy Gel-Spun stuff will rot or mildew?? Or am I just getting ahead of myself in thinking that I might hook a steelhead? :+

Any opinions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated. :beer1

·
Registered
804 Posts
give a search at www.danblanton.com - some posts about gel spun backing as well as mildew. One issue I recall with GS is that you need to lay it on carefully - and if you get fish into the backing, taking care to rewind it on carefully again since the small diameter digs into itself under pressue and can cause hang ups on the next run.

Personally, for the NW I don't think it is a big issue what you use since you just don't see wads of backing going out very often - but if you plan to use the same reel for tropical saltwater the decision you make now will have an impact. Just get a reel with at least 150 yds capacity for dacron...200 yds plus capacity if you are going south.

Jim W

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
In my opinion, its all about the reel and your needs for fishing.

I am a big believer in using 100 yards on my reels for all species. But it can be tough on my 4wt, in which case I use Micron, and on my Okuma Sierra, where GS gives me 150 yards with my Airflo Multitip.

So, you will want 30 pound for Winter, and 20 pound for summer, if you can't fit 30 pound on your lighter rod. Then just size it up so you can get 100-150 yards of backing on.

And don't worry about getting into the backing, its over rated these days. The hatchery fish are quite pitiful and plentiful, and if you can't hold them to your flyline, quit playing with it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.