Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
BAMF
369 Posts
i dont but i personally dont fish large enough rivers with huge fish that are capable of taking me deep into my backing. sometimes larger amounts of backing is need to help balance the rod/reel setup. most of the trout streams i fish here are less than 30 feet wide and curvey and all get out but i have 150 yards of backing on 3wt and 4wt reels to help balance them. i dont see the need to have more than 150 yards unless it to balance a reel. if you think about it , if your reel has 150yds of backing and 100-130 feet of fly line thats 550-580 feet of line. if the fish runs you out of line then your doing something wrong and your in for a hell of a workout.

·
Gnu to the board
333 Posts
Gotta admit, I've only been into my backing once that I remember, and nowhere near 50 yards (and I doubt I'd forget something like that). I fish primarily for trout, in rivers and lakes, and steelhead. I hear about people going into their backing and can never really understand how that happens. But that's me.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I seldom get into the backing, even with large fish. However, if I am using 6X and a larger trout hits then I've been in the backing on several occassions but it is rare. Larger Bright Steelhead will take you into the backing. I carry 50 yds of backing and have never run out of backing yet. However my brother did once and he realized too late that he hadn't tied his backing to the spool. He lost all his line as the steelhead took off downstream. Years later we laugh about it. At the time it ruined his fishing trip.

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
The last steelhead I hooked had me into my backing. And I was using a spey rod with 5 feet of leader, a 15 foot tip, a 35 foot Skagit head, and 110 feet of running line. I hate to see that knot out, especially since I tied it and I don't trust my own knots.

wayne

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Yes. Not often, but yes. Different water (and structure around to foul your line) dictate if a fly line plus another 50 yards is a bad thing or not.

·
newt
200 Posts
1st time I saw mine was the 1st time steelhead fishing ringold!!
Hooked ever since!

A good question!!!!

Used fly lines and used backing (still in good cond. For tying material?? got any fly recipes for that!!!!
I have some crazy orange stuff, backing that is. And floating line.??? Hummm most Likly a new topic sorry!

Bah I was on my phone.... Sorry for any typos!

·
NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
984 Posts
First time I ever saw the backing was fishing for chum in 2008. Saw the backing all day! I'd say that I never had more than 50yds out, BUT that may not be true. Don't think I'd be comfortable with less than 100yds, anyway. I've also caught quite a few salmon in saltwater, and seldom see the backing at all. Once I did run into some steelhead is the salt; I was using a 6 weight and fishing for SRC. The backing was evident that day too. So, not claiming to be any kind of expert on the subject, I'd feel pretty comfortable with 100yds or so. Having said that, if more will fit I'll put it on. Better safe than sorry.....

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
The last steelhead I hooked had me into my backing. And I was using a spey rod with 5 feet of leader, a 15 foot tip, a 35 foot Skagit head, and 110 feet of running line. I hate to see that knot out, especially since I tied it and I don't trust my own knots.

wayne
I was in the same situation this last sunday. Big, pissed off wild fish... Saw way more of my backing than I was comfortable with.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
For trout I never have been out of my backing. In fact, some of my old flyreels I had just enough backing to tie the line to the reel and that was it. So have about a foot of backing on it. LOL. But I have had several times where I was into my backing. Chums, steelhead, and kings (and a few silvers). Especially kings, have had some big kings that were ready to run to the ocean again. Just depends on how much pressure you like putting on your rod. But have had some sound down and then run on me on the Chehalis. It's a VERY uneasy feeling having that flyline out of the rod tip.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No, but it's nice to know that if I do need it I have it. However, if a big fish gets 100 yards on you on a river, you usually have other problems. Trees, boulders, cliffs and what have you. SS

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
A good answer will depends on how and where you fish. The following is for steelhead but also applies to most salmon. If you indicator fish small streams for average steelhead, chances are you won't see much backing if ever. However, if you swing big rivers with large fish, then you will likely see your backing at some point. The very first run I fished this past fall in BC an average fish (8-9 pound female) took me into about 50 yards of backing. I think it would be a little foolish if to fish chum, chinook, or steelhead in say the Skagit, Hoh, Clearwater, Thompson, Skeena, Fraser, Columbia, Deschutes (just to name few examples) without 100 yards of at least 20 lb backing. I spool up 30. If you fish the Ronde, Methow, Sky, Kalama, Stilly, chances are you probably won't ever need more than 50 yards.

Edit: Vi que es de Argentina. No se si pregunto por los rios aqui o de Argentina. Supongo que por la trucha cafe del mar que alcanzan 10 libras o mas, mejor tener mas que 50 metros de "backing" pero no se mucho de los rios ahi. Algun dia lo voy a cambiar.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Years ago there was a flyfishing only season at Neah Bay. The accepted method of trolling for silvers there was to let out the entire line and a few feet of backing or to have the backing just inside the guides. If you hooked a fish of any size, you lost a few yards for sure. That's a special case, however. Since then, the only fish in my backing have been very large Dorado, Sailfish, and Tuna. Salmon and Steelhead, unfortunately are no match for big, tropical fish but then I don't have to take an airplane to the river, either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.