Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nine year old has started expressing serious interest in doing some backpacking this summer and I'd like to pick up a lightweight tent that can fit both of us. I can rent at REI, but in the end I think I want something we can use over and over. I can pick up some up a new one from REI for around $140 so not looking to spend more than that.

I would also be willing to trade. I have a wood pram that I'd be willing to trade, and I also have a new Echo Ion 10' 6wt.

Let me know what you have.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Checkout the REI sale going on now. They have the REI Half Dome on sale for $139.00. Get a little more room with the plus model for $150.00. I've used this tent for a couple of years with my 11 year old son and plan on taking it this summer on a backpacking trip with him. He also uses it in the backyard to sleep out. There's a few others in this price range but this is a really nice one.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Checkout the REI sale going on now. They have the REI Half Dome on sale for $139.00. Get a little more room with the plus model for $150.00. I've used this tent for a couple of years with my 11 year old son and plan on taking it this summer on a backpacking trip with him. He also uses it in the backyard to sleep out. There's a few others in this price range but this is a really nice one.
Exactly. I have the Half Dome Two Plus, and it's great. It's stood up perfectly to nasty weather, simple to put up, and compacts nicely. One of my best purchases.

I don't recommend purchasing used tents, not in our damp climate. Been there, done that, before I wised up and bought the new Half Dome 2 Plus. Buying used you often buy someone else's issues. Put a tent away wet, and it doesn't take long before it gets that PNW funk. And, materials and waterproofing effectiveness and glue holding together seals at seams degrades over time. I currently have a tent and a bivy, both I bought used, that are perfect case studies for that last comment.

Buy it new and you only cry once.

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking at the Dome, but I thought I'd see what folks might have laying around first. You never know on this site. "Hey, I have this new in the box Nemo Hornet 2P just laying around, do you want it for $40?" Weirder stuff has happened :)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It's easy to find 2-person dome tents, 7' x 7' or 8' x 8', for $30 - $40 from K-Mart, Big 5 Sporting Goods, etc. I carry one in the wagon for one night stays, and haven't worn it out after more than ten years. (I also use a big tent for multi-day stays.)

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Go as light as you can! I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 and it is a true pleasure to carry and live in for a week. My wife and I even manage to get the dog in with us. It weighs next to nothing and has taken on strong winds, rain, freezing temps and snow.

I will never skimp on tents again!

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got a Half Dome as well. It's been a good tent. If you go new from REI, they've got a great return policy.
Thirds on the Half Dome.
Exactly. I have the Half Dome Two Plus, and it's great. It's stood up perfectly to nasty weather, simple to put up, and compacts nicely. One of my best purchases.

I don't recommend purchasing used tents, not in our damp climate. Been there, done that, before I wised up and bought the new Half Dome 2 Plus. Buying used you often buy someone else's issues. Put a tent away wet, and it doesn't take long before it gets that PNW funk. And, materials and waterproofing effectiveness and glue holding together seals at seams degrades over time. I currently have a tent and a bivy, both I bought used, that are perfect case studies for that last comment.

Buy it new and you only cry once.
Unfortunately the new design on the Half Dome has some serious potential pole issues. So not likely to head that route. I will likely pick up a North Face Stormbreak.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Unfortunately the new design on the Half Dome has some serious potential pole issues. So not likely to head that route. I will likely pick up a North Face Stormbreak.
Huh? Where did you hear that or what causes you to believe that?

Marmot Limelight is a solid value, too.

·
fly fisher
1,023 Posts
I'm looking at the Dome, but I thought I'd see what folks might have laying around first. You never know on this site. "Hey, I have this new in the box Nemo Hornet 2P just laying around, do you want it for $40?" Weirder stuff has happened :)
NOt a Hornet 2P, but I do have a new, still-in-bag Nemo Dagger 3P I could let you have for $250. Proceeds would benefit Tacoma Mountain Rescue.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Dagger+3P

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.