Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on the forum ever stock your own pond? I have a small pond near Priest River, ID and I am having a heck of a time finding a place where one can buy trout. I know I can get them at Trout Lodge in Ephrata, but am hoping someone knows of a more local option. Any thoughts?

·
1,257 Posts
Mike-

Where Can Pond Owners Acquire Fish?
Fish may be purchased at one of several commercial fish hatcheries located in Idaho or adjacent states. The hatcheries must be approved disease free facilities and must be licensed by the Idaho State Department of Agriculture (IDA). Contact the IDA for the name of fish growers who sell fish to private pond owners at (208) 332-8540.

See (Idaho Fish And Game) Private Fish Ponds for more information.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Is the water temp cool enough for trout? Panfish and or bass might work better if the summer temps get high. Also, is it big enough/deep enough to provide protection from raccoons and any other critters that might be around? I have had both warm water and cold water fish in both ponds and tanks.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water temp is quite cool in the summer. The pond is fed by a natural spring. Apparently it used to have Kokanee in it years ago, or so I have been told. It is not real big, but certainly big enough for a few dozen trout. I would love to put cutts in there.

·
Fly Fisher, Bon Vivant!
385 Posts
With a spring fed pond and no stream flowing in or out, planted trout will not be able to spawn thus requiring periodic restocking. If you want a self sustaining game fish population you may want to consider Bass. You stock them once and you will have a hardy supply of gamefish. If the water is on the cooler side Smallmouth would be perfect.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been thinking about smallmouth also. I called the Idaho Department of Fish and Game and they are going to mail me an application for a permit. There is a small outlet stream that is screened with galvanized mesh. The outlet eventually flows into the priest river. The gal from Fish and Wildlife said an agent would be glad to come out and inspect the pond to make sure it is appropriate for stocking.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought someone might be interested in an update:

I obtained a license to transport/stock fish and purchased 17 trout from a place in CDA. I planted the trout about 5 weeks ago and they have since flourished. The pond stays a cool 55 degrees, even on the hottest of days due to shade and the fact that it is spring fed. I had to install a screen covering the outlet (it runs into the Priest River, about 75 feed away). The fish are growing like crazy! Here are a couple of pics and a You Tube of last nights dinner feeding frenzy. If they winter, they should be HUGE next year. The pond doesn't freeze in the winter due to the water flowing in and out of it.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Nice! I would love to have a pond / small lake in my backyard. What size Cutts did you stock?

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They already seem less like fish and more like pets. My daughters have already named the big ones. The fish are all rainbows and one brown trout. Next year I am planning on introducing some cutthroats into the mix. The guy that I bought the fish from had cutts now, but they were too small (only around 4 inches). They should be 10 to 12 next year, so I might get a dozen in the spring.

OMJ, I haven't fished in the pond yet, but I am sure I will eventually. My oldest daughter wants to brush up on her skills.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Year 2 Update:

The trout wintered remarkably well. Many are now 4 to 6 pounds and THICK! These things are eating a ton of food every month. Here is a YouTube video of some of the bigger ones cruising around. My daughters have each caught a couple of fish out of the pond (on the fly of course) and are totally into barbless hooks, catch and release, and minimal handling as these are kind of like their pets. I had to hand the fish feeder from a wire above the pond as a bear climbed the pole that I had the feeder mounted to and ate all the food then destroed the feeder.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Really great thanks for doing a good job on it all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.