Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I don't care how you fish
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to start booking our honeymoon trip and my wife wants to go bonefishing (lucky me). Wondering if anyone has suggestions or recommendations for a bonefish lodge in the Bahamas...looking for something that is mid-range in price...

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
This is the place my wife and I stayed on our honeymoon 20 years ago. It's on Long Island so you have to fly from Grand Bahama to get there. Neat little place, rustic when we were there. The locals were very friendly, food was great, very relaxing. I gear fished for bones of which there were many. The beaches were deserted in early May, weather was great.

http://www.stellamarisresort.com/

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't know your wife, so she may be just fine with a "lodge" setting, but often times a "lodge" is too one dimesional for someone who isn't all about hard core fishing all day, every day. I have found most spouses are happier staying at a place with more resort amenities and hiring out guides or DIY for the fishing. If you are looking to mix a few days bonefishing in with more typical honeymoon activities I have a few ideas for you in the Bahamas that should fit a mid-range budget.

Long Island - Three resorts I'd recommend in order of cost and service level (highest to lowest) - Cape Santa Maria, Stella Maris, Chez Pierre. For guides I would contact Dockey Smith or Loxley Cartright.

Grand Bahama - There are several nice properties in the Lucaya development and for guides H2O bonefishing, or Pinder brothers.

Exuma - Stay at Sandals Emerald Bay (this is a traditional "honeymoon" resort, also very expensive). There are good flats in the area but I don't have any guide recommendations.

Have fun!

·
545 Posts
Just got back from my honeymoon about a month ago on Grand Bahama Island. We stayed at Our Lucaya and Taino Beach Resort over the two weeks we were there. We had the time of our lives. If I had to do it over, I would have done a week out of that time at this place (http://www.deepwatercay.com/stay). We booked a day out on the water with Bernard from H2O Bonefishing and had a blast. He definitely knows what he's doing. While out on the flats for the day with him, we passed by Deep Water Cay and it is gorgeous, remote and paradise. Prices seem to be about what we paid if you don't factor in multiple days of fishing. Regardless of where you stay, Lucayan National Park and the beach there are a must do if you are into hanging out on the beach for the day. I caught bonefish and other species right off of the beach here. Good luck and have fun no matter where you decide to go.

·
Strictly FF
407 Posts
Good info for you so far, Jonathan. Of course, you and your fiance get to decide which of the many and varied options you will choose. There is great fishing almost everywhere in the Bahamas. One thing that you can do to help yourselves is to make a list of the kinds of experiences you want - outside of the fishing.

So, do you want to have some nightlife and excitement in addition to the fishing? Then maybe Grand Bahama is the place for you to go.

Or, do you want the laid back atmosphere of the Out Islands? Than maybe Exuma is the place for you. This is the Bahamas I love, and I can recommend Peace and Plenty Bonefish Lodge http://www.ppbonefishlodge.net/

I recommend that you make sure she agrees with, and desires, the type of experience you will have at the lodge of your choice. And then if you also get to catch a bonefish on your honeymoon, you are a lucky man.

60 Posts
If she or you guys are not worried about nightlife or non-fishing activities you should head to Andros. It's the biggest and least populated island in the country. Andros South, they fish the South tip of the island or North Andros Flyfishing with Philip Rolle (Who Brian O'Keefe fishes with) in the Joulters. Both are both excellent and easy going operations. Great guides and both good numbers and big fish available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.