Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dad, Angler, Guide
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife and I are heading to the Bahamas next week, but rather than staying at a fly fishing resort and fishing 24-seven we're cruising with Royal Carribean. We'll be at Nassau for a while and other areas in the Northern Bahamas. Has anyone fished this region and what were your experiences? Does anyone know a good guide service? We may also have time to wet a line near Port Canaveral. Does anyone know anything about the oppurtunities for fly fishing around there? I appreciate any help this forum can give.
Thanks
David B. Child

·
Dad, Angler, Guide
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chief
We'll be departing from Port Canaveral and will be at Nassau and Cococay in the Bahamas. We'll have time to fish at all of the stops. Greg, thanks for the link you gave above, it helped a ton.
Thanks
David B. Child

·
Registered
837 Posts
David,

Fishing near Port Canaveral check out Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River. You can do it guided or wade it on your own. If you don't have much time, and can afford it, hire a guide.

Nassau doesn't have much to offer in the way of fishing. Probably not worth spending much time on it.

Coco cay is a private island owned by Royal Caribbean. They might offer a fishing excursion, otherwise I doubt if there are any guides.

You are not going to be in prime Bahamas fishing locales. I would take my 8wt and a few flies and keep my expectations low.

I did a Bahamas cruise last winter. Mostly a non-fishing event. I caught fish from the beach in a few spots, and hired a guide on Bimini for the day and caught a bunch of Bonefish. The rest of the time I went with the flow.

Have a good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.