Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Oncorhynchus clarki clarki
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was wondering if anyone on here has built a bamboo rod before. I have been wondering how much the cost would be to build one. I have always wanted to build one, I have built some graphite rods before, and I want to move up to split cane but I am wondering about the price. I have done some research on building one, and I think I have a pretty good idea about how to split it and taper it and all of that junk, but any information would be great. If anyone has some information could you please just post it here or email me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance.

Sly

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was looking into it a few years ago, and there are a couple of different options.

The first, the easy way, is to buy a bamboo blank. There are a number of suppliers for this, I have a friend in Michigan who planes his own bamboo and sells blanks, you used to be able to order them through the Cabela's catalog, and there are a number of other private companies that supply them, just do a search on the internet and I'm sure you'll find something. This is pretty much the same process as building a graphite blank, you have to reem the cork, tape it, wrap the guides, etc.

The second, and more challenging way, is to build the blank from tonkin cane. This requires acquiring a source to obtain the cane from, and there are a few around. I'm not sure who people go through, but you might ask William at Swede's Fly Shop, he planes his own bamboo rods. This process also requires getting ahold of some planing forms, taper formulas, and other expensive devises, and is not cheap! Two years ago, I signed up for a class to learn how to build my own bamboo rods (at a place in Maine), but due to money issue it fell through. Look around on the 'net, and in fly fishing magazines (that's where I found my add) if your really interested. It's worth taking a class on it, although there are quite a few excellent books on the subject.

Hope that helped.

worldanglr

·
Registered
219 Posts
JR. go to Clarks Classic Flyrods

it is a website set up for and by people who fish and build bamboo flyrods. The people who post there are very helpful,and can point you in any direction you wish to go. I fish bamboo most of the time and have for 4 years. If there are any questions you have please post and I will answer the best I can.

·
Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,098 Posts
Along with the good suggestions you might try calling local bamboo rod building Guru Ray Gould. I have his number if you would like it. He is passionate about his art and his second book should be out soon. You can find it on Amazon.com.

Mac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.