Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone advise me on the proper care of my bamboo rods?
I have one Leonard Redwrap 71/2, for #5, and an Orvis Battenkill 81/2 for a #8. I do use them occasionally, but have other favorite rods that get most of the play. I have not had any problem with sets or anything, yet, but would like to know what is best for the rods as far as laying flat, or standing upright, in the tubes. I know I have to keep moisture at a minimum.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

·
Registered
906 Posts
Tim, I store bamboo rods in their tubes, and lean them against the wall in the back of my closet. Take the caps off to make sure air circulates. Some guys hang rods over the winter to ensure no set develops. I've never found this necessary.

The main thing is to keep the rods dry. I usually put the rod sections on the dashboard of my pickup when driving home after fishing, and then I leave the rod out overnight before storing it.

If your rod does develop a set, it's not that hard to remove it with some heat & bending.

Hope this helps

Tom

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I store mine standing in the tube with the top off but others I know add a loop to the sock and hang them vertically in the bag but outside the tube. I always dry off my rods before storing them. I fish mine as my primary rods and have glass rods as back-up but I prefer the bamboo. Yours sound like the perfect duo for this area. I fish my 7'6" 5wt all the time in the summer and my 8' 7-8wt in the winter. Use those babies. Your arm has to get use to the weight but it will and you can use small dumbells to keep in shape when you have those longer periods of non casting opportunity. I keep debating with myself over to sell or not sell my US made Fenwick pack rods of glass as I so seldom use them now even though the action is similar. It is easy to fall in love with bamboo. I even have silk lines for my short one now. Combine it with an old US made Pflueger Medalist and you know why your grandfather was a flyfisher.

Randy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy, thanks for your responce and suggestions, yeah I'm going to have to use them more often. flyfishing is my passion and I do more than most but now it seems I have more gear than time.I guess I'll have to set up a rotation. thanks again. Tim

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tim, I fish bamboo all the time. I have a routine after fishing them. I always put the rod away before I do anything else. I break the rod down and dry off every section with a terry cloth wash rag and put them away one by one into the sleeves of the cloth case. When I get home,I pull the rod out of its case and bag, and lay the bag on a flat surface and put the rod on it overnight to dry. One area where I disagree with other posters is transporting the rod.I would never transport the rod in anything but a protective case . To do otherwise is asking for a broken rod. That is my opinion. Tight Lines Mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.