1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thanks for the articles, enjoyed them both! Didn't realize the water is a little faster just below the surface. I was taught that water is moving fastest at the surface, and moves slower the deeper you go. Very good stuff, thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the articles, enjoyed them both! Didn't realize the water is a little faster just below the surface. I was taught that water is moving fastest at the surface, and moves slower the deeper you go. Very good stuff, thanks!
Glad you enjoyed them!

Surface water is slower due to air friction.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Swiftwater Rescue Technician I is a course put on by Rescue 3. I took it a couple of times, and required my staff to complete the course when I had kayaking program and the recovery team at Ft Lewis. It's only a couple of days, and will teach you simple skills for boating and wading that can literally save lives, plus take a lot of the white knuckling out of white watering.

If I were king, that certification would be required of all fishing and splash and giggle guides right along with 1st Aid and CPR.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Knowledge is power." I wish our state would require basic whitewater safety and rescue training certification for the fishing guides too.
Yes, I find absurd that whitewater raft guides in most areas have to pass written and practical examinations on river dynamics, navigating and rescue. Plus swifterwater rescue and first aid course. Fishing guides don't require those requirements!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swiftwater Rescue Technician I is a course put on by Rescue 3. I took it a couple of times, and required my staff to complete the course when I had kayaking program and the recovery team at Ft Lewis. It's only a couple of days, and will teach you simple skills for boating and wading that can literally save lives, plus take a lot of the white knuckling out of white watering.

If I were king, that certification would be required of all fishing and splash and giggle guides right along with 1st Aid and CPR.
Agreed!

The Swiftwater rescue course is great for becoming comfortable with rivers in a controlled environment. It won't teach you navigation skills though.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
I don't believe there is a short cut to learning to row rivers. I have heard of courses taught on "How to" drift boating, but no one is going to learn to be competent in a short course. At worst, I have seen folks go out with a false sense of security and get into trouble immediately.

I tell folks who get their first drift boat to start on a lake, row until they are fully comfortable with the craft, to move on to a class 1 or 2, then put in some hours until moving up in current and technical difficulty. I haven't seen anyone follow that advice yet though, which brings me to the real deal breaker which is good judgment, and that can't be taught.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I'll have to partially disagree. Time on the river with a competent instructor will expedite your abilities to manoeuvre effectively. I've seen too many "expert" boater, that don't utilize currents and use a substantial amount of extra strokes as a result. If anything, the courses I've taught have increased their awareness of potential mishaps. Most anglers purchase a craft, and head out to a river without ever taking a course.

Nothing replaces time on the water. But it's accelerate when you have an understanding of river dynamics/hydrology, manoeuvring and rescue skills. The company that I use to work for, had a 12 day guide training, plus a river rescue course and another 30+ days with a trip leader before they could take customer down.

I agree that starting on flat water and slowly increasing the difficulty is a great approach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.