Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
To start with what time are you fishing for bass. I seem to catch more in the evening between 7PM to 9PM using either a green leech patern or a black one. The middle of the day I still can catch some but not nearly as many. I have not fished the early morning yet for bass. Its to good of a time of day for other fish. Fish a floating line with a single small split shot or a beaded head patern. Cast along the shore around underwater logs is best. Use a steady type pull in, then pause once in a while. Trolling the shore line also works well with some occational twitches of the rod tip and some pauses. I love to use a black and green pattern mixed about 1 1/2" long. Last note on some small ponds I have found that leech paterns are not the best way to go when full of bass. On these small ponds it can be harder to figure out a patern to work. Some times small minow paterns, some times other things. Just like trout. Sometimes you have to figure out the food the bass are keying on. If they are hitting on the surface look to see what they are taking. Dragon flies, Ants, and frogs both adult and babies are comon food sources. I will always remember the day that bass where throwing themselves against a rock. When I got closer the rock was crawling with ants. I did not have any ant paterns that day on me but it was fun to watch. Last keep trying bass are one heck of all lot of fun on a fly rod. A one pound fish will fight hard and a bigger one :THUMBSUP

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
Good point. This works well on any lake that you are allowed to fish after dark. Just make sure that its legal to do so. Most of the lakes I fish for bass are posted no access after dark. Also after dark in some areas the bass feed on moths. I have seen this on lakes out on the peninsula and one secret lake around here and got information to imitate using large elk hair caddis from people on this board a while back. I have been waiting to come across again this year but it seems to be September when that goes on. :WINK I did catch a nice sized bass on that secret lake the September before last using a large Caddis late one evening while fishing for trout. That was before I learned about the bass eating the moths and got the information from this board. I may be out on the Peninsula again this September and if I see another swarm of moths over a lake again with both the trout and bass going crazy. You can guess what I will be using. So yes you can catch bass after dark. It just seems like I catch more between 7PM to 9PM most of the time. :BIGSMILE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.