Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

bass

701 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  jersey 
#1 ·
I have been told there is special technique for fly fishing with bass? Can anyone shed some light on this for me, like do I need to use a different type of leader or something? I typically approach every situation with the same questions:

1-what am I fishing for?
2-where are the fish?
3-what will they eat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all-

#4 ·
I fished large and smallmouth bass in a lake in central cali with a fly rod a few years back. I didn't worry about tapered leaders and just went with a piece of 6 or 8 lb mono depending on the structure. Bass tend to head for structure when hooked. A chartreuse over white clouser was my go to. Varied depths and retrieves. 6 to 8 wt rod. The lake I fished had largemouth on the 3lb average and kicked out a few in the double digits. The small mouth were smaller but they fight like a freight train. Lots of fun.

#8 ·
You may want to post your question on the Warm Water Forum... the guys there know a lot about flyfishing for bass... I do, but the Warmwater Forum is where we talk bass. Some folks in the NW hate bass with a passion so the Main Forum is not the best one to use when talking about bass.

#9 ·
I have been told there is special technique for fly fishing with bass? Can anyone shed some light on this for me, like do I need to use a different type of leader or something? I typically approach every situation with the same questions:

1-what am I fishing for?
2-where are the fish?
3-what will they eat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all-
Answers below are in order of your questions...

Technique is not critical as providing an opportunity for dinner according to the fishy
Straight leader works, so long as you go heavy leader (10 to 15 lbs)
You are fishing for a predator
They are hiding or at least in ambush positions
They eat everything

Bring beer, it's bubba time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.