Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I want to build a fast 4 wt, and am looking at both the Batson Revelation 8'6" 4 wt and an MHX XF 8'6" 4 wt

Both rods are at similar prices and specs, so I having trouble deciding.

Does anyone have personal experience with the MHX or Batson Revolution blanks in the smaller sizes?

·
I fish
268 Posts
I'm not familiar with MHx XF blanks and they don't provide CCS numbers for them.
I have the MHx F904-4 and F1004-4. Both are quite fast action (AA:70) and are true to line weight.
From their descriptions it sounds like the XF MHx blanks will be considerably faster action than the Revolution blanks.
Why would you want that?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the Rainshadow RX7 and the MHX in 9' 5 wt. The Revelation and the RX7 (its predecessor) are by reports pretty much the same blank action wise. In 905 the MHX is faster and noticeably lighter. The MHX 864 XF is the only blank in that product line that gets the XF rating so I'd expect it to be considerably faster than the Revelation. The 864 XF is also the only MHX that does not have CCS data listed. I'd guess that it's AA is in the low 70s since the "fast" MHX is AA of 70. The MHX is certainly not stupid fast, just barely into the realm of fast and I consider the RX7 to be high end of medium fast.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Isn't a RX7 older than a RX8? Now, latest would be Eternity2, considered RX9? E2 is rated to be EF. But those I have conversed with rate a solid Fast action more than EF.

I have no knowledge of MHX rods. Other than there Matrix blanks looked very cool in sunlight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks for all the great info Roger.

Might just go MHX, I have had good experiences with them in the past.

Plus one more day deciding is one less day I can be slinging dries with it!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Isn't a RX7 older than a RX8? Now, latest would be Eternity2, considered RX9? E2 is rated to be EF. But those I have conversed with rate a solid Fast action more than EF.

I have no knowledge of MHX rods. Other than there Matrix blanks looked very cool in sunlight.
Matrix is American Tackle...not MHX.

Revelation is the current version of RX7.

Import RX8 (in addition to US built RX8+) were superseded by e2/RX9.

Mudhole is good with their warranties, as is Rainshadow/Batson.

MHX fish great...provided it stays together.

I have more faith in my Rainshadows staying in the correct amount of pieces.

The steelhead (which fly are very similar) MHX have had quite a few breakage issues in the past. Whether thats been rectified I honestly don't know. I still have a broken one...i haven't bothered sending in.

That being said...I'm tempted to get a MHX fly blank to build.

I am very fond of my e2 builds though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.