Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of threads here relating to batteries, and I’m almost embarrassed to start another thread about them.
I’ve read through a number of them however I have a few questions that I don’t see answers for me.

So, my SLA battery is dying I and need a replacement. I’ve decided to go with one of the Lithium batteries. The questions I have regard strategy for week long excursions, especially big water like Crane Prairie. I have a Scadden X5 pontoon with w/ a MK 30. I mainly use the MK to go from point A to B, sometimes to distances of up to 1.5 miles. We tent camp and so power consumption is a concern. I believe my options are to carry 2 or more of the 36AH batteries and trade them out as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Phosph...ix=miady+12v+battery+36ah,aps,138&sr=8-1&th=1

Or, go with something like a 100AH.

https://www.amazon.com/FLYPOWER-Lif...ix=fllyrower+12v+battery+,aps,114&sr=8-8&th=1

How about re-charging without an AC source? Would something like a Jackery, be capable of re-charging overnight when needed?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Seems like three 36’s cost and total weight is about the same as one 100AH.
Plus you can have one 36 charging while using another.
Don’t know how to go about recharging in the field though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lots of threads here relating to batteries, and I’m almost embarrassed to start another thread about them.
I’ve read through a number of them however I have a few questions that I don’t see answers for me.

So, my SLA battery is dying I and need a replacement. I’ve decided to go with one of the Lithium batteries. The questions I have regard strategy for week long excursions, especially big water like Crane Prairie. I have a Scadden X5 pontoon with w/ a MK 30. I mainly use the MK to go from point A to B, sometimes to distances of up to 1.5 miles. We tent camp and so power consumption is a concern. I believe my options are to carry 2 or more of the 36AH batteries and trade them out as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Miady-Phosphate-Lightweight-Replacement-Applications/dp/B089SDC497/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3R1KHO8ONY4JN&keywords=miady+12v+battery+36ah&qid=1655944330&sprefix=miady+12v+battery+36ah,aps,138&sr=8-1&th=1

Or, go with something like a 100AH.

https://www.amazon.com/FLYPOWER-LifePo4-Battery-Batteries-caravans/dp/B08KY3TXR4/ref=sr_1_8?crid=QXJFUSM50GJ2&keywords=fllyrower+12v+battery&qid=1655944678&sprefix=fllyrower+12v+battery+,aps,114&sr=8-8&th=1

How about re-charging without an AC source? Would something like a Jackery, be capable of re-charging overnight when needed?
I bought a solar panel for $40 bucks and leave it attached to battery. Have gone 4-5 days without recharging. Also use it on fish finder battery.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I usually just bring a small Honda generator on my longer outings but, I’m running a bow mount and two 110A/hr SLAs Plus a couple 60A/hr lead acid for accessories and cranking the Evenrude. I had to charge once on a five day outing.

I suppose a larger fold-up solar panel could work with multiple smaller batteries but, it’s probably easier to just bring a couple of mid sized batteries that will last through the trip. My kayak runs a MK40 or 45 and it will run a full weekend on one 60A/hr LiFE-PO. Using a trolling motor with an electronic speed controller rather than the el-cheapo reostat speed control is best way to conserve your “juice.“

LiFE-PO are great batteries with a very flat discharge curve. They are also very light weight. I’ve been running my 60A/hr for over a decade and it just keeps on ticking. They will last quite well if you use a good charger that is designed for LiFE batteries.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think from what I'm reading a Jackery with solar is not going to work well, and we don't use a generator. I'm thinking my best solution is to go with a 100AH battery. It's still less than half the weight. Of my current battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts