Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bauer M3 star wheel release tab has lost its spring tension. It remains in down position instead of springing upwards. Seems sticky. Spin right off the spindle instead of engaging at stop point on spindle. It has affected the drag tension. It ramps up rather quickly now. Any one had this issue? Probably send it to Ashland for examination. Thanks

·
LA RAMS are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
5,345 Posts
I have Bauer reels with the star drag knob, but have not experienced that issue. Did you treat it with a high quality lubricant?

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Bauer reels with the star drag knob, but have not experienced that issue. Did you treat it with a high quality lubricant?
Always used their tube of reel x. It's going to the Bauer shop. Not to worried about it. Just thought I ask and see if any one had experienced and if so what they did. I'm not sure of the star wheel mechanism but something is sticking or broken.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I actually had the star drag come loose and unscrewed while fighting a fish once. Not sure how that's even possible and don't think its a shortcoming of the reel. Not sure how it happened but chalked it up to operator error.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any update since you sent it in, or is it too soon to be asking?
It is in Ashland. I called last Friday just to touch base, even though I filled out the form I wanted to double check they had it (verify my USPS delivery) and make sure no unanswered questions. They had it for two days but had not opened the box. Talked to the guy for a few minutes as he checked and opened the box. Nice guy had a couple good stories. One being always use reel x or synthetic lube. They use to include/recommend neatsfoot oil, but finding out that neatsfoot oil and other animal fat type oils go rancid after time, owners who have used neatsfoot oil longterm have suffered from build up/sludge and have caused issues with some of the older Bauer reels. On to my reel, said the release spring was probably broken, he played with it and said ...Yep, stuck in the down position.... Wasn't sure if it was fixable or not, would replace star wheel if needed. Went ahead and asked him to give it a go through since it was there. I put a 3/9/17 request for return date, said should be no problem.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
35 bucks for go through/new star wheel including shipping and I can live with that (I/m not original owner of this reel, but am of three ).....They even called me because address didn't work out for shipping, wanted to make sure. I transposed 108 instead of 180 on address ...my fault, but told me inside myself they pay attention to details, and to be honest when talking about reels...paying attention to detail is big!!!! Bauer big thumbs up. New Star Wheel/ new drag system/ and shipping back to me....I can live with this for 35 bones!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.