Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
509flies
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading to Ascension Bay this coming spring, and I am hoping to tie the majority of the flies for the trip. I have done some research and found a few sites that recommend Bauer's Mantis Shrimp. I have google searched this pattern, and for the life of me I cannot find a picture of, or a recipe for this fly. Bauer's Flats Crab tends to come up quite a bit, but not the shrimp. I did find this one picture/recipe, but I am not sure it is the correct pattern, as it says it was designed by AJ Best in the description, the picture is horrible, and the recipe is slightly vague:

http://www.flyofthemonthclub.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1283

So, I was hoping someone might have a picture of or recipe for this pattern. I know there are plenty of Mantis Shrimp patterns out there that will work just as well, maybe better. But, this is my first Bonefish trip, and one of my favorite parts of prepping for a trip is going crazy tying flies. I have a list of about 500 (including barracuda, tarpon, permit, and snook flies) I am going to try and get tied. Got about 50 done so far, we'll see if I can make the 500 happen.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I don't have a recipe for the Bauer version, but I do have one for the Verveka Spawning Mantis Shrimp (I modified the recipe & size to make a Carp pattern.).
www.deneki.com/2014/12/tying-the-spawning-mantis-shrimp/

Verveka's Mantis Shrimp

Hook: Tiemco 811S - sz. 2-6
•Thread: 6/0 Uni Thread - Fire Orange
•Tail: Single Strand of Pearl Krystal Flash, Over Tan Craft Fur, Over tuft of Flame Orange Rabbit Fur.
•Legs: Rootbeer/Orange Tipped Crazy Legs
•Body: Dubbed Tan Craft Fur
•Eyes: Medium Black Bead Chain Eyes

Attachments

·
509flies
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. The Veverka Mantis (in both spawning and regular) have been recommended to me as well, so those are also on my list to tie. One of the guys I spoke with that has been down there before said that is the only fly you need. But what's the fun in that? Variety is the spice of life, so I'm gonna bring some variety down there :D

·
509flies
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooohhh. I do like that one. Great, thanks Jim, another one to add to my list. 504 flies now.

I have Drew Chicone's (inventor of the Disco Shrimp) book Feather Brain, and I am just starting to read it. I think that one might be in there, but I'm not that far in yet. I am sure my list will grow to 1000 by February, and I will only have 250 tied.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Umqua feather merchants catalog has photos.

It is really simple to ti: bead eyes at the bend of the hook, silli legs and antenna and rough craft fur dubbing, can add bar bells to the eye end for weight. Use different weights and tye some with weed guards for the turtle grass. Tie in reverse with the hook point up.
Also look at Clousers near nuff mantis it is similar. Ragging Craven is another if you want to look up the recipe.

Lt tan, tan and olive are good colors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.