Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No shortage of general discussions on this topic, but I'm after some specific advice in matching a line to a 9' 6wt TFO BVK.

Just picked up the rod from the big auction site so no test casting. The rod will be heavily used for Puget Sound beaches, but will throw trout streamers occasionally. I think I care the most about distance, and feel is a close second. TFO says the grain window is 150-160 gr.

Also interested in comments about and OPST commando head + lazer line as a line system for the beaches. I cast this line system recently on a river and oh man it bombs. That running line seems near frictionless. My concerns are 1) the line is so thin it would be cumbersome for all the stripping you do on the beaches. It was frequently slipping out of my fingers. (plus the lines aren't integrated so there's a bump/catch when you strip in the shooting head). 2) Being designed with skagit casting in mind, it seems clunky to overhead cast, meant really to be swinging flies.

So, does anyone have a BVK setup that really sings? Anyone have experience with that OPST system on the beaches? Some recent personal trophies after moving from Seattle to south Sound and some recent trip reports have me itching to string up a new stick.

Thanks in advance, tight lines!

Matt

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
IIRC @SaltyCutt has that rod and fishes a RIO 6wt OBS on it. Hopefully he'll chime in. I have a 9' 5wt BVK that handles a RIO 6wt Outbound floater (old version) no problem. I'm guessing you'd be set with any of the integrated shooting head lines in the same weight as the rod.

·
3,286 Posts
Yeah a super heavy 12-14' head doesn't scream super fun to fish overhead. Maybe for tight beaches with no back cast room and single hand spey casts, but you might be better off with a two hand rod at that point.

Edit: @Matthäus I have a new OBS floater on the way, so I'd give you a good deal on my older 37.5' head outbound floater if you're interested. Decent line for the beach or rivers for hoppers or with a sink tip for streamers.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Yeah a super heavy 12-14' head doesn't scream super fun to fish overhead. Maybe for tight beaches with no back cast room and single hand spey casts, but you might be better off with a two hand rod at that point.[/QUOTE

It seems super short until you factor in the need for some sort of tip, and then your total length isn't much shorter than most of the integrated "short" style shooting heads available only you then have two loop connections to deal with. Not something I enjoy when making hundreds of casts off the beach in a day.

These lines seem pretty incredible for a lot of two handed applications, and certainly can be over head cast which only adds to the versatility, but IMO not the line I want for a dedicated single hand beach line.

That's just me though. I know I've read several folks on here state they use them off the beach and love 'em. Ultimately only you can be the judge. I'd recommend getting your hands on one for a trial before dropping any coin

·
3,286 Posts
Good points @Nick Clayton and I agree about the loop connections that you'll be pulling through the guides hundreds of times a day. Not a big deal on a two hand river setup where you never retrieve the line all the way in. Still though, even with a 15' intermediate poly leader, your total length might be close to an OBS but the weight distribution (taper) will be way different and probably not ideal. Like you say, for a dedicated beach setup you're probably better off with an integrated line.

Might be worth playing with though if you can get your hands on one.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
There are some folks using Commando set-up off the beach. Hopefully they will chime in.
I wish OPST offered a integrate intermediate Commando head / intermediate coated mono running line. I think that would be the bomb off the beach.

The BVK 6 wt should be able to handle more then 150-160g lines. I've been fishing 210-235g on my 6 wts.
After having used the OBS then switching to the Coastal Quickshooter, I'll never go back to the OBS.

Good luck in your search.
SF

·
Fly fishing enthusiast.
244 Posts
I use the OPST commando head from the beach occasionally and I think it's awesome as long as you use it with a floating poly leader,versileader, or mow tip. The reason is it gives you a direct line to the fly like using an integrated intermediate line like the obs, or coastal quickshooter would. I basically use it if I'm fishing topwater patterns. I figured if I want to use a sink tip, I might as well use a full intermediate. I use the 40lb lazer line and it does just fine for stripping line. I do occasionally have an issue with the loop to loop connections catching on the guides. As far as overhead casting goes; no false cast and a one and launch approach is the way to go. I just get the shooting head out of the guides with a roll cast then pick it up and launch it. It definitely gives you the distance. It's also great for fishing during high tide near trees and skagit casting instead to get your fly out there. Once you add a 10ft tip on the distance of the head becomes 25ft so there should be no worries about the head being to short. All in all it's a great line that really is best used in a river setting, but can have a place on the beach if you choose. I use it as my topwater line. The weight and taper of the head masks the weight of the foam flies and I'm able to use a short 4-5wt fiberglass rod, and still fish some bigger flies I wouldn't normally be able to cast with that rod. Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Selling a couple Costal Quickshooter lines in the classifieds section if anyone is interested.
Why are you selling them?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use Commandos both on my switch rods and single handers in the salt, for cutthroat and residents. No issues with the loop to loop set up, thanks to a Guideline (or is it Proguide? Proline?) junction tube sleeve I slide over the connection.

Totally agree with @flyfisherman-sean regarding no false casting. The taper and length, even when "smoothed out" with a poly or MOW tip don't really lend themselves to it. Just load up and fire away. Consequently, this ends up in capping the max distance you can throw these overhead if you're the multiple false cast/carry line/extend your overhang/power double haul type of dude. That doesn't mean you won't reach fish, you just won't be able to reach the ones way out there (80+ feet) if you're chucking any of the heads in the 150 to 225 grain range. You can probably get it done with a 250, but it won't be pretty.

Regarding running line--I use Lazar 40lb and 35lb on the 150 and it's fun, but can be slippery if you get too excited. 175 and up I use Airflo Miracle Braid. Good diameter to grip ratio and no real issues with that affecting distance. Then again, I'm typically fishing at ranges between 40 and 70/75 feet. Anyone bombing beyond that might have a different experience with a thicker running line.

·
Fly fishing enthusiast.
244 Posts
I use Commandos both on my switch rods and single handers in the salt, for cutthroat and residents. No issues with the loop to loop set up, thanks to a Guideline (or is it Proguide? Proline?) junction tube sleeve I slide over the connection.

Totally agree with @flyfisherman-sean regarding no false casting. The taper and length, even when "smoothed out" with a poly or MOW tip don't really lend themselves to it. Just load up and fire away. Consequently, this ends up in capping the max distance you can throw these overhead if you're the multiple false cast/carry line/extend your overhang/power double haul type of dude. That doesn't mean you won't reach fish, you just won't be able to reach the ones way out there (80+ feet) if you're chucking any of the heads in the 150 to 225 grain range. You can probably get it done with a 250, but it won't be pretty.

Regarding running line--I use Lazar 40lb and 35lb on the 150 and it's fun, but can be slippery if you get too excited. 175 and up I use Airflo Miracle Braid. Good diameter to grip ratio and no real issues with that affecting distance. Then again, I'm typically fishing at ranges between 40 and 70/75 feet. Anyone bombing beyond that might have a different experience with a thicker running line.
Well said, I double haul and just let it ride and can get it in the 80-100ft range. Then again you don't really need to cast that far cutthroat fishing so it works out to be a great line from the beach for closer presentations as well. I like no false casting, because it keeps my fly fishing twice as long.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More good info, and thanks for reminding me about the junction tube solution.

Unfortunately the rod I ordered was stolen off the porch because UPS delivered it to the wrong spot. So I have to wait a while longer to put this setup together :/

------

The coastal quickshooter and many other lines strongly annoy me with the way they are underrated compared to AFTMA* standards. Why why why why why not simply package each line with the grain weight of its head (or section designed to be outside rod tip) and each rod with the grain window that will properly load it?

TFO tells me 160gr for the BVK 6wt - which would be a 4wt Coastal Qshooter. Lightest line weight available in that model, however, is the 175gr 5wt (which is AFTMA 7wt).

I cast a Sage Salt 6wt with the 6wt Qshooter recently - terrible match. Yeah it was softer alright, but a fiberglass rod with a line matched appropriately would have done the same thing better. I see zero point in over-lining the rod. Perhaps someone can share something to change my mind. If I buy a fast action rod and overline it, doesn't that just mean that what I really wanted was a slower action/different casting rod to begin with?

(* compared to the designed physics of the rod is really what I really mean. AFTMA "guidelines" are just that, of course, but at least they ARE a standard.)

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
If you get too caught up in AFTMA standards and grain wts a rod is rated for, you'll surely end up being disappointed. Then factor in....are all 6 wts created equally? Some are whimpy and some may be a 7 wt in disquise.
I view the AFTMA line ratings as a standard, not an absolute.

Keep in mind that lines like the Quickshooter are essentially specialty lines, as in integrated shooting heads.
Before these integrated lines became available, people made their own shooting heads using heads looped to running lines. Many still do this.
It is quite common to have the head wt overlined by two or three line wts when using shooting heads. The premise being one false cast then "aim high and let it fly".
The line manufacturers have now given you the option of buying a ready made, out of the box shooting head line, but most don't conform to AFTMA standards.
There are plenty of lines out there that do conform to AFTMA standards if you don't want to use these types of integrated lines. That being said, for beach work in my opinion I think you'll be disappointed not using a intergrated line. It may take a bit to find the right line combo for your rod, but once you get it dialed in I think you'll like it.
For a fast rod like the Salt 6 wt, I bet the 230 gr 7 wt QS or a 250 gr Streamer Express would have been a better choice.
Guys are using 8 wt OBS short lines at 315 gr on their Salt 8 wts without issue. Based on AFTMA standards, that is nearly an 11 wt line.

One other advantage to overlining when fishing rivers is it allows me to load the rod quickly to make quick short casts. I find this extremely helpful while fishing out of a boat.
SF

·
Tidewater Enthusiast
739 Posts
Just bought my first RIO Coastal Quickshooter today (went with a straight 6 wt for my fast action 6 wt rod after talking to Ben at Pacific FF who was apparently part of the team that designed this line) in an attempt to move past the whole cracking RIO OutBound clear tip issues.... very stoked to try it out as I am basically out of beach intermediates at the moment....

Interestingly though my favorite beach line the RIO StreamerTip stood the test of time past the OB lines AND the newer In Touch series but that beloved line was in a fight between a barnacle and a studded wading boot and it lost badly.... ST

Keep in mind that lines like the Quickshooter are essentially specialty lines, as in integrated shooting heads.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
More good info, and thanks for reminding me about the junction tube solution.

Unfortunately the rod I ordered was stolen off the porch because UPS delivered it to the wrong spot. So I have to wait a while longer to put this setup together :/

------

The coastal quickshooter and many other lines strongly annoy me with the way they are underrated compared to AFTMA* standards. Why why why why why not simply package each line with the grain weight of its head (or section designed to be outside rod tip) and each rod with the grain window that will properly load it?

TFO tells me 160gr for the BVK 6wt - which would be a 4wt Coastal Qshooter. Lightest line weight available in that model, however, is the 175gr 5wt (which is AFTMA 7wt).

I cast a Sage Salt 6wt with the 6wt Qshooter recently - terrible match. Yeah it was softer alright, but a fiberglass rod with a line matched appropriately would have done the same thing better. I see zero point in over-lining the rod. Perhaps someone can share something to change my mind. If I buy a fast action rod and overline it, doesn't that just mean that what I really wanted was a slower action/different casting rod to begin with?

(* compared to the designed physics of the rod is really what I really mean. AFTMA "guidelines" are just that, of course, but at least they ARE a standard.)
Sorry to hear of the stolen rod, damn rotten thieves! I was starting to get worried too when the Radian arrived late from repair at Scott.

About CQS I cast a 210gr (6wt) on my 5wt St.Croix legend elite and 5wt Radian (both fast). Feels like a perfect match, I "over lined" because the previous Orvis Bankshot 5wt line was 210gr and it was a cannon :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not too caught up with AFTMA. I guess I'm just operating under the assumption that casting a line of the rod's rated grain weight (not considering AFTMA or it's weight label, e.g. "6wt") produces maximum casting distance. Is that not the case? What is the effect of overlining aside from creating a deeper load/slowing the action/"softening" the feel?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.