Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Went fishing today up on the S/Fork of the Sauk Had a good time lots of hits but no takers. They must have been just playing with me. Tried the small black WB thing with a trailer but no hits. Switched to a black elk hair caddis and they wouldn't leave it alone. Then I lost that fly to the rock gods and then the bite died off.

From there I drove up the N/fork Sauk just to check out the river level. It is still a little high but dropping.

Now the bears. I saw another one today on the way out of the woods. That is two in less than a month and just a few miles apart. I've seen three bears this year and it's getting to be that I'm getting afraid to go up in the woods alone. When they were allowed to bait the bears when they hunted them you would only see one every few years but now that they can't hunt them that way anymore there are more of them around. And these guys are not very little.

Came back home by way of the N/F Stilly and ran into Kerrys. Stopped by Hazel and he was there and we started talking about the fish and he says is that your car and I said yes and then he asked if I was the old man and of course I had to say yes.

Left there and stopped at C.Post and the hole under the bridge is full of fish. Couldn't tell what they were as I'm not that smart to tell what kind of fish it is by looking at it's back. From up above they all look alike to me. Just some bigger than others.

Jim

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
They say that dragging tin cans behind you will keep the bears away. Then again, the cans had better be clean. ;-)

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've seen two bears this season, both within a 30 minute drive of my house in Carnation. Scary, but then again, at least they're not grizzlies!

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Jim,
I hope I didn't bring that on you. It seems like a lot of people who fish with me start seeing bears! About half start seeing cougars! Unfortunately a black bear is far more dangerous than griz. Check out wild animal attacks in NA and you will find blacky attacks more than griz! My appologies Jim! Just wind up and give them a Lawless Cougar punch and then nail them with a 45!
Dave
PS remember I told you I carried a 45, I wasn't kidding

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Black Bears are more dangerous than Griz. They will eat you right off while a griz will bury you and eat you later. With a griz at least you can play dead but with a Black bear you are dead.Are there any Griz around here or are they just up north. I thought that they planted some in the North Cascades N/P.

Jim

G

·
Whenever you travel in bear country you should carry a can of pepper spray. It is simple to use and very effective. When a bear charges you just spray the whole can on yourself and the bear won't want to eat you.

·
...has several mistresses.
667 Posts
I carry a 30 inch, 32 ounce pine bat, a slugger if you would! See the bear, turn around and rap your buddy's knee and run like hell, it works! You want bears, see MacRowdy! I found him to be very verse in Scatology as he took me on a tour of his findings. With that we did stumble upon a fine 120 pounder running down the dirt road, Rowdy in the backseat with his Macbattlecry took us after the fella to no avail. In conclusion, carry a bat, live life in the most un-healthy ways you can, smoke, drink, eat beef cooked in hog fat, smoke and smoke more! What bear would want to eat on you with those toxins?

Why are you reading this and not fishing?

SAK
Xstream
}(

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
Are you sure those Griz 'smolts' weren't run over by the a$$ in the jet boat! :dunno

Seriously though, think about carrying some pepper spray. Just make sure its handy and make sure the wind is blowing away from you before using. Also make sure that you make noise while walking through the area, or do what they suggest in serious bear country and wear a small bell to make some constant noise while hiking.

Finally if you do come accross a bear one thing I've read about is too make yourself look bigger. Raise your arms and even pull you coat up over your head to look bigger and don't plan on running unless you are a sprinter. Bears can run in short bursts up to 35 mph! Too much discovery channel and bear paranoia from my time in Montana... Actually there was an article recently in Fly Rod & Reel.

Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just be conscious of the fact that they are up there. Cougars and bears are located throughout our foothills, mountain streams and alpine lakes. In addition, sightings and encounters are becoming more prevalent.

Recently ran across one of the largest black bears i've seen over on the NF Snoqualmie. This after a similar sight of an intimidating black bear sighting on the snoqualmie at the end of last year.:eek

Whats got me thinking is the grizzly re-introduction going on (or planned) for the North Cascades (mostly Canada). Hunt, hike and fish up towards there, already deal with some big cougar...would make things interesting. :smokin

Nice picture xstream:thumb

Fly For Fun

"Trout Don't Live in Ugly Places" - Alex Higala

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I wouldn't get too freaked Jim. There's some horrific black bear stories- but you know how many black bear encounters there are every year? Tons. They don't see very well. I think that's why they tend to get close sometimes, and they can be scary. I faced off with a few. If they have room to move off, they usually just amble off- even if startled and snapping their jaws at you. Now, if they are after your food at a campsite that's another matter. It's good to talk to them loudly, and toss a big rock or stick if they get too curious. That rock will almost always get them running- just toss it near them. Or use Bob's cougar punch.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure you're joking about the spraying the pepper spray on yourself, but in all seriousness, Do NOT spray pepper spray on yourself or your gear thinking bears won't like it. In actuality, bears like the smell and taste of pepper spray -at least enough to make them want to dig into it. Pepper spray is effective when sprayed in the eyes/nose of a charging bear. It hurts like hades for them just like us...BUT, the scent & taste on your gear or yourself does not repel them, it attracts them. I know of some poor souls in AK that learned this the hard way (fortunately only property loss). Some field tests have been done to prove this theory too.
easygoer

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sak, you left out the part about Macrowdy hangin' out the window with one leg lodging himself inside while we're driving 35 mph down a vegetation choked road, camera clicking away...

And regardless, I'll take a 120 pound black bear over a 450 pound grizz any day... At least they don't stink as much ;(

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,439 Posts
Hey JFK Jr
Those bears you saw fishing in Idaho, were they fly fishing or gear chucking? either way I'll bet they were using "Bearclaw Hooks" :+

LB

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Geez thanks for giving it away!!! I was hoping Jim believed the story about spraying himself down before heading into the woods. If anyone would believe the story, it would be old man }( }( :p :p. just playin with y'all

I just got done reading "mark of the grizzly" and holy crap that book made the hair stand straight up. Excellent book about bear attacks....really makes you think about what to do/not to do when in bear country and/or confronted by a bear. And I personally fear the blackies more than the grizzlies for many valid reasons :eek:

Cougars....dont even get me started on those bastard cats!!!! They scare the crap out of me, especially now that I have a two year old out camping with us all the time.
~Patrick ><>

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
That wasn't me at Hazel it was my evil twin brother.}( Very nice to have met you oldman.

The fish at C-Post are mostly steelhead. I did see a few at the head of the pool that may have been kings. They looked way to big for summer run steelies and they damn sure weren't suckers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.