Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get into spey fishing here in the midwest. I looked at the Beaulah
website and it looks like the 12'7 7/8 would be good for my purpose.Any thoughts
on this rod. The price fits my budget......or any other rod under the $500.00 mark

Thanks in advance
Joe

DBLTAPER

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
I haven't casted their Spey rod but i've used their single hander rod before and if their it's any indication of their quality, the rod I casted was great. I've heard a lot of great things about their Spey rods as well.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
I've built this rod over a year ago and fished this rod for some time now and absolutely love it! Matches very well with a 480 grain Compact Skagit and a Guideline Power taper. Got my first two steelhead this past summer on it too!

Very easy to cast! You won't be disappointed! :thumb:

·
You're only so smart as what you choose to share.
412 Posts
amazing stick. they nailed it with this rod when it first came out, its in my starting lineup along with rods twice its asking price. skagit at 510, scandi at 480 for me.

·
gear whore
1,049 Posts
yes!!! BUY IT! Beulah makes an amazing rod and their customer service is topnotch. I am with K2 on this rod, 510 skagit and 480 scandi make it sing a beautiful song.

I just got a the 7 wt platinum, but have not cast it yet, any line recs? I am thinking the 510 skagit should match well with this rod as well...

·
Castaway
384 Posts
I just got a the 7 wt platinum, but have not cast it yet, any line recs? I am thinking the 510 skagit should match well with this rod as well...
I'm fishing the 7wt Platinum and that's what I'm using, a 510 Skagit. The 510 feels really good to me, but I haven't tried anything else. If I remember correctly, SSpey said he liked it with a 550 skagit. For summer work I'm using a 475 gr Elixer @ 33' and it's pretty sweet.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
is it true that the Platinum 7 fishes more like an 8wt? I always wondered why the Platinum series only goes to 7wt but a friend of mine said its got enough power to substitute as a 9wt if needed. I'm sure 8wt substitute isn't pushing it. Sounds like a great summer and winter rod.

·
Castaway
384 Posts
is it true that the Platinum 7 fishes more like an 8wt? I always wondered why the Platinum series only goes to 7wt but a friend of mine said its got enough power to substitute as a 9wt if needed. I'm sure 8wt substitute isn't pushing it. Sounds like a great summer and winter rod.
Feels like a 7wt to me...............

·
Registered
68 Posts
The 485 Tonic line from Beulah rips on the Platinum 7 wt spey. Go with Beulah's matched lines, that is your best bet. 540 grain Tonic could also be put on this rod if you are really looking for a deep load and slow stroke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.