Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the $100 price point what do you think is the smoothest and best disc drag reel available? Spool price must be $50 or less to meet requirements. It will be used on a 5wt primarily for lake fishing and a soft start up on the drag is necessary. Any favorites? Ive

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
If I only had 100.00 cash in pocket, I wouldn't think twice about buying a NEW Orvis Battenkill disc drag reel. LIFETIME Warranty and an awesome "TRUE DISC" drag, not the caliper style and super light. Extra spools are something like 40.00 or so. Not too many reels out there that can cover that many bases.
Look on Ebay, you can even get them cheaper new or used.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
There is a new line of reels out by Loomis called their "Adventure" series. They run an even $100.00. For the money I don't think they can be beat.

Skinny

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Take a look at the Loomis Discovery at $100.00, I think the spools are about $60.00. The sealed drag is operated by a clutch in the spool that tightens on the spindle. Take-up is smooth and almost intantaneous.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an Adventure 7. Love it for the price (actually I got it new for $75 on Ebay). The spools are usually $65. However, if you opt for multi-tip line you can avoid the need to purchase spools and sinking line. Recommend the reel for sure!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rocky Mountain (Orvis)

$65 for the reel and $15 for the spools. Same drag as the Battenkill. Money left over for gas and beer. Well Sprite now, but you know what I mean. fisherman's Marine has Ross's for $159 right now, FYI.:thumb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have heard that there are some cheap plastic parts in the adventure that break or wear down very easily. i would recommend the battenkill, those things can take a beating.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I had something like that happen to mine. I got some sand in it when I sat down to tie on a new fly and when I went to wash it out by taking the spool of and rinsing the sand out,the bearing case fell out and I didn't realize that it had fell out until I went to reel up my line and it wobbled. The bearing is held in by a small screw and it is all plastic except the screw. Other than that it works like a charm.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the input

Thanks for the help and opinions. Sky, Baseball-I have a Battenkill 3/4 disc for a 4wt and really like it. Big Ben- I also have a Rockey Mountain 375 with a number of casettes and it too is pretty decent, especially when buying new spools! Matt-what is the strength of the Okuma other than price? How is the drag,durablity? I was looking at FISHUSA.com on the net and saw the new Magnitudes for under $50 and spools under $30. These are the magnesium models that weigh under 4 oz-pretty light for a 5 wt reel. Going to the Gamefish show in Spokane this weekend, maybe I'll get a chance to visit some flyshops, handle some reels, etc. Ive

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.