Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an excellent time for the past two weekends float tubing lake Lenice in the crab creek area. The birds singing, coyotes howling and an occasional 16 to 18 inch trout at the end my line adds to the enjoyment.

But here is the issue - I would love to share this with my 9 yr old son but he does not have the appropriate waders/fjns to use with my extra float tube.

I have an antique aluminum canoe that looks very similar to the Gruman canoes you used to see at youth camps in the 70's. It is approx 16 to 18 ft long and heavy.

I think my son may enjoy fishing the lake with me if we could get the canoe to the lake without too much drama.

Has anyone used a wheel cart setup successfully to get a big, heavy canoe into Lenine or Nunually? If so, could you shoot me a pic and info on how you made it or where you purchased it?

I was brainstorming about trying to make a cart based on a couple of mountain bike 26" wheels/tires to give it extra float in the soft sand, but do not know if that would work.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
People use carts all the time for aluminum boats, pontoons, prams, etc. They also have wide poly wheels that work well over the sand. (4) wheels, a couple of rods for axles and 2 x 4's for a frame, add straps and you should be ready to go.

MB

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've tried all kinds of different setups for rolling my sit-on-top kayak down to the beach (through soft sand) to go rockfishing/ab diving. By far the best I've came across are the Wheeleez brand with the balloon tires, thin tires no matter how tall dont work as well. They are a little pricey but you can buy the wheels separate and build your own frame if you want. Search norcalkayakanglers.com if you want more opinions.

http://www.wheeleez.com/canoe-kayak-cart.php#kcb

·
Registered
327 Posts
Greg, those Cabela's rigs will work just fine. I've done the Bowron Lakes Canoe Circuit up in BC using them twice as well as a few multi-day canoe trips in Algonquin and the Adirondacks using one similar (likely made in the same factory in China). Each of these trips included portages over 1km. No need to spend more than $50-75 if you look around. I got mine off eBay for around $60 if I recall correctly. Don't waste your time and money with anything tiny and cute.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I agree with golfish that the Wheeleez carts are the real deal for dragging a yak or canoe across soft sand. These are quality built and get the job done as advertised.
If you don't have to deal with soft beach sand, then a wheelbarrow tire is plenty wide for most surfaces. I'd go fora cart with 4" wide tires, since those work on nearly every surface except soft sand.

Get a cart that is suitable for accessing the places you usually fish.

I am going to build myself a long-handled wheelbarrow type cart to wheel my Ultimate 12 down a narrow rut of a singletrack. I'll be using a single wheelbarrow wheel for this. My Wheeleez cart is inappropriate for a single track rut going thru tall and clumpy marsh grass, since it straddles the rut and gets hung up in the clumps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.