Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up another Winston Boron IIx rod, this one in a 4 wt. I was wondering if anyone out there has this rod and what line they like casting the best with it.

I know there are many great lines out there, but I have found that with some of my rods one brand (type) of line seems to cast better than another - on a different wt rod. Did that make any sense?

Example: I tried 4 different lines for my Boron IIx 8 wt, then a few guys recommended a Rio Gold. They were right - great line for that rod. Same thing happened for my Sage LL 4 wt, after 7 different types, - Ridge line was the best. Turns out (at least it seems that way) that maybe some rods in different weights may cast a certain line a little better due to how they load the rod.

I've been fly fishing for 24 yrs now and still seem to learn something new every year. This is just my latest. I guess tomorrow I'll learn colors. :clown:

Anyone done the same with the B IIx 4 wt?

Any suggestions would be great. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
OK...rio gold, but one line for trout rods, and one I always seem to come back to is the cortland classic 444 peach. This is a solid line for medium to medium semi-fast rods. WF or DT. However many new lines have come out in the last couple of years, none of which I have tried...so there is that element to. Good Luck, it is not getting any easier....yet the choices are getting better!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have and 8'6" 4wt Biix. I checked the Winston forum and the three lines that seemed to come up were wulffl tt, rio selective trout and Rio gold. I ended up with the Rio gold (on both my 4 and 6wt) and am very happy with the line.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a Boron IIX 9' 4wt, When I purchased the rod I lined it with GPX which was a great line but I felt as if the line were a bit heavy and I over loading the rod at times. I have since resorted back to weight forward Cortland 444 (peach) and will stay with that line.

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
On a slow, hot afternoon last summer on the Madison, some buddies and I did an on-stream line test of several lines on 3 different Winston 5-weights: an IM6, BIIx and BIIt. We tried the following lines on each rod:

DT5 Cortland 444SL
WF5 Rio Gold
DT5 Rio Selective Trout
WF5 Rio Selective Trout
WF5 Sage (Quiet Taper?)

The surprising result: We all agreed the WF5 Rio Selective Trout was best on each rod. Even at shorter distances, it was smoother casting than its DT5 counterpart. I usually prefer DT's for pocketwater fishing like the on the Madison, but I was thoroughly impressed with the Rio ST WF. I think the new Rio Trout LT is essentially the same line re-marketed.

I have not tried the Rio Classic, but I've heard it was modeled after the Cortland 444 "peach" which has been a great line for decades.

Also, I really don't consider the BIIx as a fast rod. IMO, lines like the Rio Grand or SA GPX, which are nearly a full line size heavier, would really kill the action of a BIIx - especially if you're making longer casts.

If this 4-weight is primarily a dry-fly stream rod, I'd look at the new Rio LT, Rio Classic, or the tried and true Cortland 444 Peach or SL.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
On a slow, hot afternoon last summer on the Madison, some buddies and I did an on-stream line test of several lines on 3 different Winston 5-weights: an IM6, BIIx and BIIt. We tried the following lines on each rod:

DT5 Cortland 444SL
WF5 Rio Gold
DT5 Rio Selective Trout
WF5 Rio Selective Trout
WF5 Sage (Quiet Taper?)

The surprising result: We all agreed the WF5 Rio Selective Trout was best on each rod. Even at shorter distances, it was smoother casting than its DT5 counterpart. I usually prefer DT's for pocketwater fishing like the on the Madison, but I was thoroughly impressed with the Rio ST WF. I think the new Rio Trout LT is essentially the same line re-marketed.

I have not tried the Rio Classic, but I've heard it was modeled after the Cortland 444 "peach" which has been a great line for decades.

Also, I really don't consider the BIIx as a fast rod. IMO, lines like the Rio Grand or SA GPX, which are nearly a full line size heavier, would really kill the action of a BIIx - especially if you're making longer casts.

If this 4-weight is primarily a dry-fly stream rod, I'd look at the new Rio LT, Rio Classic, or the tried and true Cortland 444 Peach or SL.
I also think the Rio Selective Trout is a great line for a lot of different rods. I fish mostly cane rods in fast, med and slow and it is a good match for many of them.
There are more than a few retailers still selling their existing stock of the Selective Trout II for a very attractive price. I think the Rio LT has been modified with more weight in a smaller area in the front. Not wanting that extra weight concentrated in the front, I bought a few extra of the Selective Trout II while they are still available.

TC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx guys! I new I wasn't crazy to ask this question. You've all given great suggestions. I was leaning towards a Rio line, but I am curious about the Cortland 444 (peach). I have had horrible experience with Cortland lines in the past dating back to the mid 80's, but those were all the 333 & 444 bright green lines. The last 10' would start to crack and sink after just a few uses. That being said, the peach colored one seems to prevail for many others I hear. There's just too many choices! Again though, thanx for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.