Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the group and fly fishing. My 50th is coming up and I want to do some fly fishing. I have been salmon fishing for years in the Seattle area and now I want to start fly fishing. The family and me are looking to take a Weekend mid March for my birthday and I would love to catch some fish. Any recommendations?

· Registered
15,602 Posts
March? Check to see which lakes in the Columbia Potholes and seep lakes system open in March. It can be cold, but the fishing is often quite good that early. Lenice and Nunnally are popular, though I've not fished them in March. I have hiked into the Desert Wildlife Area in March to fish and found it productive.

· Registered
910 Posts
Some years the ice is off early in the Columbia basin, but sometimes it can be early April before you can fish. A good resource is the Spokesman Review newspaper, which has a weekly outdoor column - I think on Thursdays. They usually get updates from WDFW on which lakes should fish well.

· Registered
20 Posts
Try hitting up some of the local saltwater beaches. If you have or get a 6/7 wt outfit, the local juvenile coho can be a blast if you can locate a school of them. They sometimes come into shallow water areas around Duwamish Head and Alki Beach in front of the lighthouse. A small black bodied reverse hackle spider will get them going!
Also, pretty much anywhere over on Hood Canal, you should be able to tie into some Searun Cuttthroat.

Good luck,
JayT

· Registered
90 Posts
This year it might be a good idea to carry a chain saw if you come up to BC to cut a hole in the ice big enough to get in a good cast. But some years the low elevation lakes can be spectacular at the end of March right at ice off in the shallows with chironomid. This year all bets are off but if el Nino sets in next season might just see late March chironomid fishing. There are lakes around Powel River with rainbows that go up to 20 lbs that can be ice off and there are is also some great cutthroat fishing around the feeder creeks and shoals where they are stacked up ready to spawn. On Vancouver Island the browns start to take the muddler on the Cowichan and on Cowichan Lake the cutts and browns can be really good.
Personally I leave the steelhead alone as they are almost extinct in most places but at one time early March was incredible on rivers like the Klanawa and the Cowichan which are now only a ghost of what they were only 30 years ago. 💀 :cry::cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts