1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Googlemeister
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just picked up the Griffin Odyssey Cam vice this winter to upgrade from my 30 yr old Griffin 2A. There is another model of it that I got, cost a little bit more but so far I really like it. Cost was around $125 vs. the $80 one. The only difference is it has a really nice machined cradle and a better turning handle. It has the cam lock jaws and it came with the c clamp but I use it in my old base. The shaft comes apart so you can take off a 2" section to use in the desk base and it sits lower. The jaws seemed very small compared to the old 2A but Ive been using it mostly with 3/0 and 4/0 hooks, and it worked nice on the 16 dry fly hooks too. So far not one complaint :)
Toy Aircraft Table Gas Vehicle

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
It is nice to see the Griffin Odyssey being recognized for the fantastic value it is. There isn't another vise available for the price the holds hooks with a vengeance, is easy to adjust for different hook sizes, holds most any hook a person would tie a fly on, is true rotary, and all the parts can be replaced is they wear out, which is unlikely in a lifetime of tying for all but the professional tyer who ties 1,000 or more dozen flies per year. That is why I recommend it to folks who want a really good vise that they won't grow out of. Where else can you get this versatility for $100.00 or less?

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
I like my Regzetti (see photo) :D

Wood Household hardware Gas Rectangle Font

I've had my Traveler for 17 years. It has a couple of upgrades at this point, but the standard Renzetti Traveler 2000 cannot be beat for the money and never let me down. Most of my flies are size 24-2, though I also tie on steelhead/intruder shanks a good amount.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
After about 20 years the shaft that holds the cam lever on my Thompson A started to wear through or bend or something. In any case I replaced it with a hack sawed piece of a 16 penny nail and got some more years out of it.

TC

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
This seems to me to be so much an oxymoron. Considering that the Norvice is one of the most expensive vices on the market.
Might be an oxymoron, I wrote that last night after some beverages and some devils lettuce. I still like the vice and feel its a great value, cost aside ;)

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Having used a Regal for about 12 years now, I can simply say I love its simplicity. Interesting that they show a Regal in the articles photo. Tying vises are much like rods and reels - everyone has their preference.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
My wife bought me a Renzetti Traveler about 20 yrs ago for my birthday, love it.

Reactions: VanAllen

·
Registered
298 Posts
Started out with a Renzetti Traveler. It served me well for a few years. The jaws seemed to fail to secure the hook after a while. Contacted Renzetti and they told me to buy new jaws. So I did. The were attached to a Norvise. Took some time to get use to it, but now my go to vise.

Dr Bob

·
Registered
518 Posts
Good stuff!

I'm surprised that was their answer...I started off with a hand-me-down $10 vise from India that worked...kinda.

After deciding I liked tying, my first big upgrade was to go to a Regal, on the recommendation of the two guys I'd learned the most from to that point, both of which tied on 25+ year old Regals, both still on the original jaws, and both of which still held a hook firmly enough that you could make a pretzel out of a heavy hook in either one of their sets of jaws.

After that I was true-rotary-curious, so I picked up a Dyna-King Trekker from a forum like this. It came used, but well taken care of, and it's held everything I've thrown at it, #22 to 2/0, rock solid, no question.

So in my nearly 10 years of tying, I've not even had to think about replacement jaws once. For a reputable name like that to tell you flat out to buy something extra to get basic performance seems like...low-effort...if not necessarily *bad* customer service. You'd think that they'd at least try to troubleshoot for you, or offer a price break on a set of replacements or something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.