Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that several of you have blogs of your own. I have thought about starting a blog, not because I have anything profound to say, but because I want to share some travel adventures with my family and friends. Two years ago, I spend a month traveling around Cambodia. This summer, my wife and I spent a month traveling in Australia: Kakadu National Park, Ningaloo Reef, multiple national parks, and the Great Barrier Reef. I ended up with 8000 pictures and video clips and detailed notes on every day for the Australia trip (about the same for Cambodia). Even if only 10% of the pictures/videos are good (and the ratio is much higher), that's still 800 pictures/videos. I could just use a photo-sharing site but that won't provide context for the pictures. I want to integrate text, pictures, and videos, much as we do in our fishing reports, but on an epic scale.....

While I have some comfort level with software, I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on the technical aspects of a blog. What software / hosting site do your recommend? Are there particular problems/issues (e.g., security, spam, stolen pics) that I should be aware of in general?
Thank you for your suggestions,
Steve

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've only used it a little myself, but if I've heard nothing but great things about Squarespace. It's not free, but you can make some really great looking websites without needing to know to much technical stuff.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
I use Google blogspot. But if I had to do it again....I would start with them and then set up my own web site.

I basically use it as my personal outdoor blog that other people can view.

Yes, everybody will steal your pictures.

But you can send out cease and desist letters with a bill to people that steal your pictures. It is an easy way to pick up cash. Government agencies are the best payers since stealing stuff in public is generally frowned upon. They don't steal your best pictures just "representative" pictures. My most stolen pictures are of my dog, the view of the Wenatchee Valley from my bedroom window, and a guy walking his dog across the street in Leavenworth.

With google chrome you can right click on your image and it will immediately bring up ALL the web pages that stole your photo. Get a generic cease and desist letter and a bill and your in business.

I would start billing as soon as somebody steals your picture. Don't wait. They just ignore the copyright notices.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you don't want to spend a lot of time or money to pay someone to write code, then from what I know, I would stay away from Wordpress as it is geared more for pros. That being said, your content belongs to you. Google Blogspot in their terms and conditions can take your content and shut down your Blog anytime they want, although the latter seems unlikely in your case. For ease of use I would check out something like Bajema said. Squarespace has templates that would require the least amount of a time commitment as it is point and click, drag and drop no coding required. Not sure about their terms of use though regarding content. Probably around $10.00 a month for hosting and your own domain. Just a few ideas to check out.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would stay away from Wordpress as it is geared more for pros.
This is incorrect. WordPress can be as simple or as complicated as you want. There is no need to hire someone else to do a basic site for you.

For a particularly simple (and free) WordPress version, check out WordPress.com. If you are new to WordPress.com, this is a great little tutorial:

https://learn.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is incorrect. WordPress can be as simple or as complicated as you want. There is no need to hire someone else to do a basic site for you.

For a particularly simple (and free) WordPress version, check out WordPress.com. If you are new to WordPress.com, this is a great little tutorial:

https://learn.wordpress.com/[/QUOT

My bad. Thank you for your correction. Wordpress just seemed much more complicated than what I was looking for at the time I did some research. I was just thinking about simple templates that were drag and drop and that required a minimal learning curve. :)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I also have a Wordpress account. Neither it or Blogger are used enough for me to distinguish a preference now. I have heard of problems with Wordpress by former users. But others that I regularly track have used it for years, daily.

There is definitely a commitment necessary to use a blog. A few of my posts have a string of revisions-edits well into double digits. I am not shy about changes and deletions long after posting; it's my game, not a publication.

You can always PM some of the members for their personal thoughts.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I have been using the Google Blogger. So far I have not had any significant problems with it. It has been easy to set up. And easy to edit anytime. But there are many tools in the system that I have not yet employed. And this is mostly due to my not being that computer savvy. Make sure to back up all of your work on a separate file, like a disc, or an high capacity external hard drive. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.