Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'd appreciate suggestions for the best places to try spey fishing for steelhead in mid July. We'll be in Portland in mid Jully and could head off to Oregon, Washington, or Idaho rivers enroute back to Montana. This will be my first attempt at steelhead with a spey rod, and first attempt at steelhead since Lake Michigan 30+ years ago. Help please.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
ODFW just raised the limits on the Willamette, Clackamas , and Sandy due to large numbers of hatchery fish returning. 18,000 over Willamette Falls, which is nearly double the previous 5 year average.

Craig

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
BSD,

With that degree of mobility, you might as well go where the steelhead are. Clackamas, Santiam, and maybe McKenzie, all Willamette tributaries. Also the Rogue is getting a large run too, I think. Might want to check that out. The Kalama and the Cowlitz are possibilities, but I doubt their numbers will approach those of the Oregon rivers.

Sg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're retirees in a pickup camper. So yes, we have a lot of latitude (pun intended) regarding our return route. Could also take along a one man pontoon boat if there are rivers where it would useful.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Klickitat's a slam dunk <*(((><
Assuming you'd prefer the best experience...I'd recommend the Klickitat. A free flowing river that produces exceedingly large steelhead and salmon. Campiing is free with an annual fishing license, non-resident fishing license cost is $58.75. Big and strong, JUMPING fish predominate. Tons of easily accesable water and crowds don't exist. July can be difficult...river could be brown from glacial melt...or, assuming the global cooling trend continues the Klickitat will fish well...it's already loaded with steelhead! Pontoons are perfect for the Klickitat...stop and spey!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.