Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just decided that next summer we're taking our son a road trip over to ID/MT/WY to spend a couple of weeks fishing and camping out of our car, with a backcountry side trip or two thrown in.

Let's be honest, we all love the discovery of that great roadside pitstop that leaves someone saying, "we should come here again for more (fill in the blank)". So why don't we start a list of those places and what the visit is worth checking out. Food, drinks, vibe, entertainment? Why should we stop at the place that has probably already come to your mind?

One requirement please- fishy water must be nearby (whatever you define that to be). Bonus points will be awarded for the entries within a short walk of a kick-ass campground or pet friendly lodges. While I have a year to make a list of and research the water around these establishments, you can all put this information to use on your own travels sooner than that. And although I expect many (if not most) of the suggestions to be 21+, let's throw in a few family friendly places too, just for fun.

So, next time you find yourself near the Tetons, stop by the Knotty Pine in Victor, ID and have a piece of red meat and drink some locally crafted beers over live music; you'll be glad your did. Mairead also recommends the 'special sauce' with the tater tops at The Spud Drive In up the road (Widespread Panic is playing there on July 4th this year).

Happy travels (and tight lines!) everyone, :thumb:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When I lived in Montana the Iron Horse Bre Pub in Missoula had some great food and brew. And there is enough water within an hours drive to keep you busy. In Bozeman try Ale Works, same story good food and p;enty of fishing close by.

·
Willing to learn anything...
302 Posts
:ray1:While in Montana, on your way to Yellowstone, the Silver Dollar Saloon in Ennis. Great food, super steaks, alot of fun. Across the street is the Ennis Cafe, arguably the best breakfast around.
Now....should you find your self in Livingston, try the Livingston Bar & Grill. Great for families as well and one hell of a cheeseburger:thumb:

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
Goooooood thread. :thumb::thumb::thumb: I'm not sure if it's still open but the Honey Bee just north of Hoodsport has some great fish and chips and the clam chowder will bring a tear of joy to your eye. Hood Canal is a fishy place, and all the leeward OP rivers are right along the same highway. Campgrounds are everywhere and there is lots of hiking to little lakes as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Cub's Den on HWY 89 in Monarch, Montana (southeast of Great Falls). Haven't been there for 10 years, but they have (had) THE best prime rib dinners on Friday nights. King Cut (18oz.), baked potato, pasta, salad, mmm...full stomach nirvana. Belt Creek running through the Sluice Box canyon out their backdoor is incredbile as well (for fishing and scenery).

·
I code and I fly fish.<br>WA --> MT --> WA
40 Posts
"Music on Main" is always a good time in Bozeman, MT. Great food, drinks, and live music on Main St. for a couple of hours on Thursday nights. Then you can always hit up Mama Macs in Four Corners for some awesome breakfast on your way to the Gallatin, Madison, Ruby, etc...

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you happen to go near Pocatello, Idaho, the Oregon Trail Museum is great for kids, and pretty damn interesting for adults too. 10 years ago, the ex and I got stranded there for a couple of days with the kids due to a van breakdown. The museum wasn't actually open to the public yet, but a school group was going through and we got to tag along.

Northlake, I haven't been to Babb since 1986. We would drive down there from Calgary to get Coors beer for staff parties (not available north of the border then). What a flashback.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
-Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump Museum- North of Glacier National Park near Ft. MaCleod and Crowsnest River

-How can you not stop at the World Famous 10,000 Silver Dollar Bar in Haugan, Montana! .....

-Your a fool not to stop in Montana at the Lewis and Clark Caverns! Awesome! Campground right there.

-North northeast out of Kemmerer, Wyoming is an awesome fossil museum. The town of Kemmerer is the site of the 1st established JC Penneys Store.... no shit.

-If you fish the Owyhee River, go past and above the dam. Continue for about 5-6 miles to the State Park----Shade trees, grass, and showers--- a real treat from the dusty hot desert. Nice campground. Also, on the way up the river you will find Snively Hot Springs on your left along the roadside.

-Long long ago I stopped at some log cabin joint not far up the Coeur d' Alene River north off of the highway heading to Missoula. I had an awesome buffalo burger there.... anyone know the name of the joint?

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
The Bulldog Pub & Steakhouse in Kalispell. Excellent steaks. Aged just to the point of adding a little tang to the flavor. Hhmmm, hmmm.

I second the Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump Museum, and don't forget to get your Head Smashed in hat from the gift shop.

TC

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
-Long long ago I stopped at some log cabin joint not far up the Coeur d' Alene River north off of the highway heading to Missoula. I had an awesome buffalo burger there.... anyone know the name of the joint?
It must have been the SnakePit. How can you forget a name like that??

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Tupelo Grill in Whitefish MT. The restaurant in Craig right next to the launch (it was new last year and super good food, but I forget the name!) Aspen Acres Campground (on it's own golf course and a few miles from the Warm River launch on the Henry's Fork) stop at Owen's Meats in Cle Elum on the way over to get some killer jerky and jagermeister! Splurge on dinner at Triple Creek Ranch on the West Fork of the Bitterroot.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.