Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting UW for an interview in late February and was wondering what the best beaches for SRC fishing around Seattle are. Also, what are the water temps in Puget Sound this time of year. I am traveling from Wisconsin and was hoping not to have to bring waders. I have wet-waded in the Lake Michigan tributaries in Wisconsin with the air and water temperatures below 50, so anything around that would be reasonable. I realize it is a slow time of year for fishing Puget Sound, but it has been over 2 months since I have picked up my fly rod, and am excited just to get on the water there.

Thanks,
john

·
gear whore
1,049 Posts
I would definitely either bring or rent some waders!! I think PS water temps hover around 45-50F year round, pretty darn cold for wet wading if you want to fish more than 20 minutes or so. As far as beaches go, you could try Lincoln Park in West Seattle, Carkeek Park or Golden Gardens in Ballard, or up to the north is Richmond Beach and Picnic Point. In saying that, none of these are hot for cutts but they have been known to be caught at all of them. There is also a chance of hooking into some resident coho (maybe a better chance than cutts) at these beaches as well. A 5 or 6 wt rod with a floating line and olive and white bait fish patterns and small olive, chartreuse or white shrimpy looking flies should work...stop in one of the local fly shops when you are in town and they will be able to hook you up on flies. Patrick's on Eastlake is the closest to UW I think. Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Check out the Salt forum on this site - just use the search feature and read old threads to get a better idea of where to go and what to bring. Since it's usually overcast, wet and windy at the beach, not wearing waders would be an exercise in hypothermia. Just pack a pair of breathable waders and synthetic long johns. If you don't have any waders they can be had for cheap - think Hodgemans. These will fold up and take very little room in your luggage. You can pair these with some cheap boots. You don't even need wading boots, just something with a tread for the slippery little rocks you'll find at these beaches. If the boots are cheap enough, you can just rinse and dry them off, and leave them at the local Goodwill or whatever rather than shlepping them home. Best of luck, and be prepared to enjoy the experience. You might see whales, otters, seals and sea lions, etc, and maybe even catch a fish! Please let us know how you do.

Rich

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
I will be visiting UW for an interview in late February and was wondering what the best beaches for SRC fishing around Seattle are. Also, what are the water temps in Puget Sound this time of year. I am traveling from Wisconsin and was hoping not to have to bring waders. I have wet-waded in the Lake Michigan tributaries in Wisconsin with the air and water temperatures below 50, so anything around that would be reasonable. I realize it is a slow time of year for fishing Puget Sound, but it has been over 2 months since I have picked up my fly rod, and am excited just to get on the water there.

Thanks,
john
John, shoot me a PM with some details on your trip here. I'd love to get out there with you. I've fished most of the beaches around Seattle with some success. Wet wading is up to you but if you don't want to have your testicles shrunken into oblivion, i'd bring a pair of waders. I'll also echo Eric Tarcha's comment - UW is right next to Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake. THe guys at Patricks are truly great and will help you out a ton.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
+2 for Patricks, call Jimmy and he'll tell you what patterns and sizes will be needed that time of year.

Get some $12 rubber boots to go over your Hodgmans at Homedepot on 1st ave on your way to LP. If I know I'm going to fish in estuary/lower river muck I wear rubber boots, and have to the beach a few times with no problems. If you want to wait on the Hodgmans you can get those @ Outdoor Emporium on 4th as well.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
I'm not much of a saltwater fisherman but I fish at Lincoln Park fairly often as it's just down the hill from where I live. Some searuns and rezzies have been caught down there the last month or so but I wouldn't describe it as hot. And I never use waders when I fish down there. I it hasn't been too much of a hinderance in catching fish. I've caught fish at LP plenty of times when those wading haven't. You might get your cast out a little farther wading but the searuns and rezzies are often caught 60ft or less out. I'm not a great caster but I can usually reach the fish from the waters edge. As perviously said, a 5 or 6wt rod will do it but the 6wt might be the better chioce as it's often windy down there this time of year.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
I'm not much of a saltwater fisherman but I fish at Lincoln Park fairly often as it's just down the hill from where I live. Some searuns and rezzies have been caught down there the last month or so but I wouldn't describe it as hot. And I never use waders when I fish down there. I it hasn't been too much of a hinderance in catching fish. I've caught fish at LP plenty of times when those wading haven't. You might get your cast out a little farther wading but the searuns and rezzies are often caught 60ft or less out. I'm not a great caster but I can usually reach the fish from the waters edge. As perviously said, a 5 or 6wt rod will do it but the 6wt might be the better chioce as it's often windy down there this time of year.
I was just at Lincoln this past Sat, only fished for 30 minutes while I waited for the ferry...but there was one particular SRC that seemed to be going crazy...jumping several feet in the air every couple minutes. Unfortunately, he just wouldn't bite :/

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, you might not want waders, but if you get here and decide you want them anyway it's too late. (Nobody in Western Washington rents waders.) So bring the waders.

Hopefully by now you've got a few PM's with specific advice on which beaches to hit and when.

Do make sure you look at the tide charts to figure out when you'll be hitting the beach, and watch out for the barges. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.