Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumor that a flyfishing guide was written a ticket for posessing a dead wild steelhead on the upper Hoh, using scent, and barbed hooks??

Seems odd :hmmm:

Can anyone verify?

·
Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge
383 Posts
Yea I seen a guide with a dead fish on a stringer, also saw Brian down at Oxbow watching, guy was acting like a ding dong all day doing everything he could to stay one hole ahead of me, did'nt stop us from catching but it was commical seeing him run like a crazy man whenever we were close.

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
was this today?
Good question...was at oxbow yesterday at camp when I see this patrol truck pull in quick, he hops out and runs down to the river. I walk over to his truck and see a few guys in a raft On the computer in his rig that had just been by a few minutes ago. Wonder if it was them? Wanted to ask him but he zipped off. Whatever they did it wasn't good.

Brazda, said hello to you on the river today...all I can say is I wish I was in your boat instead of another day of the skunk!

Cheers,
Matthew

·
Doug
16 Posts
interesting story so far. I've never fished the Hoh but I gather it's fly and barbless only? odd a GUIDE (and a flyfish guide? no less) would break these rules. :beathead:
I'm in portland and steelhead my local rivers, but never made a trip to the Hoh yet, but I hear it has big fish. :) Hope to get up there someday soon now that I'm a spey freak. :) how's it fishing so far this spring? any advice for a rule abiding and clean releasing guy from OR? :thumb:

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Busy few days for Mr. Fairbanks. I talked to him Saturday afternoon. Someone had reported a raft fishing the closed section of the upper Duc.
Not sure if he ever found them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
interesting story so far. I've never fished the Hoh but I gather it's fly and barbless only? odd a GUIDE (and a flyfish guide? no less) would break these rules. :beathead:
I'm in portland and steelhead my local rivers, but never made a trip to the Hoh yet, but I hear it has big fish. :) Hope to get up there someday soon now that I'm a spey freak. :) how's it fishing so far this spring? any advice for a rule abiding and clean releasing guy from OR? :thumb:
No it's not flyfishing only but it is single barbless selective gear rules

Tim

·
Registered
425 Posts
Can we out the individual. I imagine that a bad reputation is bad for business.
Maybe there's an alternative explanation. . .maybe a hatchery fish or something. . .but if not then I'd say (in this day and age) outting them would be fine. Don't even need a name or anything. . .how about the make of the rig or a vague description, and let nature take its course,

fb

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Careful Gentlemen: Everything I've read has been rumor or speculation. Don't make decisions about anyone without knowing the facts. Assume: Making an ASS out of U and ME. Jumping to conclusions based on rumor and assuption is a dangerous way to live. Also it can get you sued.

Keith

·
Registered
91 Posts
Careful Gentlemen: Everything I've read has been rumor or speculation. Don't make decisions about anyone without knowing the facts. Assume: Making an ASS out of U and ME. Jumping to conclusions based on rumor and assuption is a dangerous way to live. Also it can get you sued.

Keith
Keith makes a good point...does anyone have any updates regarding this issue? If this is factual I'd like to know who would be foolish enough to do this.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Dustin, if anyone makes accusations that may cause this particular person financial harm and the accusations are false, then you are in big trouble. People have been sued for less than this. What I am saying if someone losses financial gain because they were named or identyfied by description then they could potentially sue. The following could possibly be a dangerous action unless you have iron clad facts. [Can we out the individual. I imagine that a bad reputation is bad for business. ] Must be careful when doing such especially on an open forum like WashingtonFlyfishing. If you have the truth and can prove its the truth then you have no worries, but be careful. I just don't want anyone making a mistake and doing harm to an innocent guide and then getting themselves sued.
Use caution and common sense.

Keith

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
No one had been named yet.......not even a suggestion of a name. If you consider a "blue raft" as a description that is going to hinder business then I would say that line of thinking.....doesn't hold water..:)

·
nymphs for steelhead....
667 Posts
I dont get why everyone is flipping out about a guide killing a wild fish. There are DOZENS of guides on the lower river that kill wild fish for every client that doesnt have there 1 wild fish a year punched out. The only thing that would piss me off about this particular situation is if the fish was killed in the upper river.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Agreed, speculation. I also never said anything regarding a name. However, fact is not slander, and if I see it happen I will be telling whomever I please. I believe its wrong to kill wild steelhead, and if its legal for someone to harvest one, its legal for me to let people know my opinion on how moral I believe it is. I saw an article in a magazine this winter that featured an amazingly large wild fish from the Hoh, harvested, and it made me sick to my stomach. I dont buy that magazine anymore, and outside of this forum, I tell everyone that will hear me not to as well. I feel the same way about a guide that allows a client for harvest a wild fish. I may not oust them on the internet, but you better believe that they wont get my business, and I will let anyone who will listen know that they allowed it. I have and still do on occasion guide, I know its a livelyhood, but you have to know when your screwing yourself.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Dustin, if anyone makes accusations that may cause this particular person financial harm and the accusations are false, then you are in big trouble. People have been sued for less than this. What I am saying if someone losses financial gain because they were named or identyfied by description then they could potentially sue. The following could possibly be a dangerous action unless you have iron clad facts. [Can we out the individual. I imagine that a bad reputation is bad for business. ] Must be careful when doing such especially on an open forum like WashingtonFlyfishing. If you have the truth and can prove its the truth then you have no worries, but be careful. I just don't want anyone making a mistake and doing harm to an innocent guide and then getting themselves sued.
Use caution and common sense.

Keith
I Agree.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Nate I agree nothing has got out of line yet, but I just want folks to use common sense and protect themselves and also be sensitive enough not to cause someone else harm without using the facts.

Keith

No one had been named yet.......not even a suggestion of a name. If you consider a "blue raft" as a description that is going to hinder business then I would say that line of thinking.....doesn't hold water..:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.