Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A heads up for you guys that are tired of a too-short sleeping bag with a slick chilly inner liner. Amazon has their 39'' x 81'' Oak Point bag on sale today for $28.89 with free shipping to Prime members. With a soft flannel liner these things are instant warmth once you get in them. The flannel ruff extends around the edge of the bag so you don't come in contact with the cold outer cover when you zip in. The zippers are jam proof and the best ever.

I own six sleeping bags-some very expensive down bags-but this has been my go-to bag for almost a decade for anything down to around 35 degrees. Perfect for a lot of car camping and for guys sleeping in their pickup trucks. An 18 degree night at Coffeepot a couple of years ago proved that the bag is unsuited for freezing temps but a perfect companion for moderately cool camping. For serious cold weather stuff I use a 40'' x 84'' monster rated at -5 degrees. I don't ever intend to see if it works at that temp but it sure is snuggy at 20.

Less than $30 for a bag that fits and is super soft and comfortable inside is a steal, I'll replace my 10 year old well used model with a crisp new one.

Ive

·
Registered
6,847 Posts

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Ive - just ordered. At $28, it's definitely a steal as a big warm comforter for two as well as a big sleeping bag for one. I appreciate the recommendation from someone who's actually used it for multiple years - well made + warms up quickly is a big plus. Amazon says I got either the last, or the next-to-last, one from their warehouse.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spey-PM me after you have used that for awhile and tell me what you think. Some things just seem to be too good to be true and after seeing a lot of big bags advertised from $85 to $150 paying $28 for one one seems almost inconceivable. I hope the quality hasn't dropped in the 10 years since I bought mine. Last year I was shopping for a 10' 4wt for chironomid fishing and the prices were all over the map-some many hundreds of dollars. The Cabela's CZN received a lot of rave reviews for it's light weight and performance so it was one of the rods on my radar. When it went on sale for about $100 several of us sprung for it and have been pleasantly surprised that a $100 rod could perform so well. Inconceivable!

Yes,Virginia-there really are some good deals out there...

·
Geriatric Skagit Swinger
8,260 Posts
The bag I had since high school, 40+ years ago finally had the zipper let go in a permanent way. It was one of the slick ones and I learned right away a layer of clothing was required to keep from sticking to it. anyway I picked up a large bag at Cabelas that stuffs into a sack. I really like the stuff sack as i never had one before. But it is still a slick fabric so the sleeping layer of clothing is required, which I think helped prolong the life of my last bag by decades. These days there is something else on the market which I recommend. A fleece sleeping bag liner for those extra cold nights. It also works well for a summer bag in warm climes if you are packing light.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I'm a big (in several senses) fan of oversized rectangular sleeping bags for car camping. I also sleep cold, so mine is always paired with a synthetic filled quilt. Currently, Cabela's has their Magnum 44 bags at $100 off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.