Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great day on the Big Hole Saturday. Started out with sun and warm weather. As clouds came over, the fish came out. As soon as the sun was back, fish were gone. Thankfully the clouds were out for enough of the time to keep us pretty active. Landed about 15 myself, with about another 3-4 ldr's. Browms, rainbows and one beautiful bright red cut. All except 2 were between 15-20 inches, and they were almost all taken on dries except earlier in the day when a few hit the small dropper. Thought about OMJ as we were about 30 miles or so from Dillon. If I lived that close to that river, I think I'd be on it 4-5 days a week! Tons of fun watching the browns suck down the surface flies. We were using a unibomber as the lead fly, and ended up going to the single fly most of the day as it was most successful. Casting tight to the banks was where they were hitting the hardest.
First time there, but I know I'll be back.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still a lot of nice water to wade and hit from the banks around there too. Thinking of heading there again next year just to camp along the river and walk. You've got some great water there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not exactly sure, but I was told it is the "middle" section. We ended up right at the put in close to the Salmonfly camping area right near what you might consider to be downtown Melrose. :)

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
Is the big hole a technical river in terms of drifting Jim? I'm thinking of floating it by myself and I've never fished it before?

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Is the big hole a technical river in terms of drifting Jim? I'm thinking of floating it by myself and I've never fished it before?
I floated Divide to Melrose in a DB in mid-July. Pretty straight forward, but not for a newb. Also did East Bank to Jerry's Creek. That had just barely enough water for the DB then, not sure what it's like now. It was real flat and pretty mellow, just real skinny too.

Great trout water.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The water is higher than usual right now, but dropping every day. Seemed like a pretty easy float other than the occasional rocks or shallow water that you have to avoid. Nothing as far as rapids in that section that are worth worrying about. It does get pretty low from what I understand which would make for a bit of dragging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.