Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Didn't I see you on the Kalama last week?----it is you with that Fred Meyer fish! I didn't make it to you're fly shop, I'll save that for next time

·
Registered
930 Posts
Tony proved that you get what you pay for. Great customer service! Thanks again.
Jason
Wow, you've got to teach me your secret. I had Tony call me a while ago and tell me "he didn't know what my problem was" despite the fact that they kept sending leaking waders back to me. He ended the call by telling me that G4's are so well sealed that I was mistaking condensation for leaks.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
mike t,
with all due respect, the testing they do there WILL find a leak. Curiousity has me wanting to hear your issue as well, those waders are ridiculously tough. I dont say that because I sold them for years, I say that because of time tested on all models as well as using the G4s personally. Simms will give you awesome customer service as long as respect is shown to them as well. Even though they are pricey, Remember their profit margins on these waders are significantly less than anyone else in the industry due to the fact that montanans build them, test them, and check them. So they arent going to deal with customers who show un-necessary attitude. After hearing some of the so-called "polite" calls, or at least thats what the customer says, it turns out you cant hear your own voice when calling about a problem. I am definitely a prime suspect of this.

btw the vader-waders are sick, if the dark side is with you then the biggest, baddest fish out there should show themselves.

·
Registered
930 Posts
mike t,
with all due respect, the testing they do there WILL find a leak. Curiousity has me wanting to hear your issue as well, those waders are ridiculously tough. I dont say that because I sold them for years, I say that because of time tested on all models as well as using the G4s personally. Simms will give you awesome customer service as long as respect is shown to them as well. Even though they are pricey, Remember their profit margins on these waders are significantly less than anyone else in the industry due to the fact that montanans build them, test them, and check them. So they arent going to deal with customers who show un-necessary attitude. After hearing some of the so-called "polite" calls, or at least thats what the customer says, it turns out you cant hear your own voice when calling about a problem. I am definitely a prime suspect of this.

btw the vader-waders are sick, if the dark side is with you then the biggest, baddest fish out there should show themselves.
I understand your point Dan. To be fair it was prefaced with, "I don't know how to say this, but...". My local Simms dealer sent them in for me so my interaction w/ Simms didn't occur until the 2nd time they were returned. I didn't want new waders, I simply wanted the ones I bought to not leak at the seam. I know Simms makes a good product and that they are tough, but I also know things happen. IMHO Simms didn't stand behind their product and lashed out at the consumer.

The G4's are still getting used, but only as a summer wader and in situations where deep wading isn't required.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
sorry to hear about that mike and i wish you could trust them more. they should, and usually do, back their highest end waders for 200 plus days of use minimum barring any type of neglect. I cant say the same about g4s, i wore the same pair for three seasons, although i wash and revivex them every month. They conservatively had 400 days on the water without any type of major leaks. Then one day the flood gates opened after sliding down a 50 foot embankment in a wild, tumbling motion. Even then simms stood behind them like they were new, although it is crazy to think special treatment wasnt involved as at that time I was selling more simms gear than any other fly shop salesman any where... but they definitely could have told me to shove them up my ass and buy an all new pair.
We had a guy buy a pair of g3s for use in arizona, he was livid and sent them back the day he returned from his trip. Turned he walked around, through cactus and various thorny plants WITHOUT boots on. The booties were demolished as you might imagine. for lesser, price and due to the story, simms flipped the booties out and he had his waders back in a couple weeks. We strongly suggested boots, although he refused.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I've had to send my G3's back a trio of times. The first time I was pretty worked up about it and Tony called me right away. My follow up questions and concerns to their staff were directed to Tony and we've had a number of good phone calls. The service has been fast and fair. Some were about the repairs and getting my waders right and back to me fast. Othes were about fishing. All the calls were great, but chatting about fishing is way better than chatting about aquaseal.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
My $50 Cabelas waders have lasted two years.

I don't hike in them (that's just silly) and I take care of them pretty well - always leave them inside out to dry, etc. I have some super expensive gear, but don't ever think I'll own a pair of waders over $150.

We'll see though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
the thing about waders is, they are much like tires ad they will wear out according to the mileage and the types of roads the are used on. It is not about how long you have them, it is about how much you use them. There are guys who put more wear on a pair of waders in one month wacking around the OP than 10 years in a drift boat. If you fish hard on foot, I find it hard to believe that you have had any pair of cabelas waders for two years without problems. I have had a pair or red balls for 12 years, the leak like its their job.

In my opinion, the big money I spend on waders/jackets is the best money I spend. If you get wet and it gets cold, then your miserable or screwed. For 200 bucks you can get a rod that performs like a 700 dollar one, that is just not the case for waders. Reels depend on the application, if you need to land a marlin then you are gunna have to spend the big bucks but for the most part you can go cheap there.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Dan - I hike to good water in my hiking clothes. When I find it, then I change into my waders and boots. I carry a big backpack and don't mind the load at all.

I have never gotten into hiking around with my waders on. I'd rather hike twice as far in comfort and get to fishier spots. Maybe when I get creaky, I'll just hike a couple miles in my waders for the sake of convenience. For now, anything over 2 miles is done in hiking gear.

I think the same lesson applies. Take care of what you have - even cheap stuff (or red balls) - and they'll typically last a long time.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
for sure, waders should last a long time for you then. for those of us who bushwack and whatnot, waders get roughed up and cheap ones go by the wayside pronto. i take care of my waders very well, washing them and clearing the membranes of dirt, and reapplying revivex. this adds at least 25% of life to them as far as breathing and dryness are concerned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.