Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping some of you out there would be able to provide some feed back on this line of rods. How would you compare them to other fast action rods such as the Z-Axis or Xi3?

I cast a 9' - 9wt. MX the other day and was very impressed. It was a canon. One false cast, shoot the line and before you knew it, 80 feet + out there! The one draw back that I found, was that the rod seemed heavy, despite the light weight claim. In any case, looking for all feed back, good and bad, about this line of rods!

Keep'em Tight!

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
What have you compared it to? Really, you need to do the comparison. I could offer my impressions on the 5-6 weight lines, but that would really serve no purpose with regards to 9 weights, since most lines have their own money rods in a certain weight. What I mean by that is a certain line of rods might be excellent at certain weights, such as 6 through 8 weights, but performs less than desired in the trout weights of 3 thru 5. However remember this is all personal preference. For instance, I think the Sage XP in 6 thru 9 is the bomb, but I don't care for the trout weights as much...I prefer a softer action rod for those purposes. Winston has gone through some changes lately, however I always thought of them as trout rods meaning 6 weight and below, I never felt good when casting any of their heavier rods, doesn't mean they are not good rods, just not good for me. Love many of thier trout rods.

G

·
I agree with Porter in the fact that you need to be the one comparing the rods. What's great for one may not be for another. I would only add that I own a Boron IIx 8 wt and love it. Fishes like a 5 on smaller fish, meaning that it literally feels like you have a 5 wt in your had when playing a 12-16" fish. Yet has the backbone to land 15llb+ steelies without feeling like you are working too hard

As far as casting is concerned, again that's up to you. I almost bought the MX but the feedback was that it was too stiff. I personally would give up 10-20ft of casting distance to play a fish vs feeling like I drug it in on a trolling rod.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the responses.

I also cast the Sage TCX during the same session as the BII-MX. The TCX definately felt lighter in hand, however, it did lack that casting feel. The BII-MX was easier to cast, more accurate and had better control.................for me. Again, the only complaint was that it felt heavier. The other thing that I did not like on the BII-MX was at the junction points. The Winston was almost a good 1/4 thicker at these points.

Both great rods. Can't wait to cast the Xi3 and the Z-Axis as well.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
What type of fishing (warm salt, AK, etc.) for the 9 weight? What type(s) of lines (say, floating, heads, sinktips, etc.) do you anticipate using most frequently?

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I also cast the Sage TCX during the same session as the BII-MX. The TCX definately felt lighter in hand, however, it did lack that casting feel. The BII-MX was easier to cast, more accurate and had better control.................for me. Again, the only complaint was that it felt heavier. The other thing that I did not like on the BII-MX was at the junction points. The Winston was almost a good 1/4 thicker at these points.
Sounds like the MX won over the TCX for you. I wouldn't worry even a tiny bit about weight of ferrule thickness. These are things you won't notice on the water. On the other hand, you will absolutely notice casting performance.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of fishing (warm salt, AK, etc.) for the 9 weight? What type(s) of lines (say, floating, heads, sinktips, etc.) do you anticipate using most frequently?
The 9wt.'s will be used for a variety of things. I will be throwing Outbound/Streamer Express lines off of the beachs of the Great Lakes for King Salmon, Bass Tapers and sink tips for Big Largemouth in the Cali. Delta, Outbounds/Pike Tapers for Pike/Muskie, Saltwater/Bonefish Tapers for the flats.

·
Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....
73 Posts
FlyFshnFool,

You have been given the best advice, what feels good to you! The problem I see so often is someone will buy based on a report or an opinion and ends up selling it shortly there after as they found something else works much better for their needs or desires. I love my Winston Speys, but for a beach rod throwing big shooting heads I really like the Scott S4 and S4S, get your hands on as many as possible and hopefully with the correct line, you will just know when it all comes together.

Date a bunch of them before you decide to settle down, is my advice.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
FlyFshnFool,

You have been given the best advice, what feels good to you! The problem I see so often is someone will buy based on a report or an opinion and ends up selling it shortly there after as they found something else works much better for their needs or desires. I love my Winston Speys, but for a beach rod throwing big shooting heads I really like the Scott S4 and S4S, get your hands on as many as possible and hopefully with the correct line, you will just know when it all comes together.

Date a bunch of them before you decide to settle down, is my advice.
Good stuff.

I've heard nothing but great reviews about the S4 and, in particular, the S4S. The last big thumbs up I heard was from a solid fishing guy who eats and bleeds Burkheimer, and he thinks the S4S is a dandy. I need to fling one . . .

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Good stuff.

I've heard nothing but great reviews about the S4 and, in particular, the S4S. The last big thumbs up I heard was from a solid fishing guy who eats and bleeds Burkheimer, and he thinks the S4S is a dandy. I need to fling one . . .
Same here, let me know if you get your hands on one and get to test it out.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What they said...find what you like personally and buy it.

I have an S3 and an S3S. Unless they've changed it, IMHO, Scott ferrule design sucks.

They're OK if you know how to cast. Working with people new to flycasting, I find the the ferrules work loose easily resulting in a crack or break at the ferrule. I have had one rod repaired twice, one ferrule rebuilt prior to breaking and one that needs to go back again. Scott turnaround time on repairs can be slow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.