Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to go out to try some blackmouth fishing this weekend. Can you use fly fish for them. If so what kind of setup do you use? What kind of flies? and finally where do you go?

I havn't been out for a while and I'm getting antsy. I need a fix. I would like to stay with the fly for the trip although my fishing bud will be using gear.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Lastcall

·
Registered
156 Posts
They are usually around 100 ft in depth. There are cases where they are not that deep. They hang where food gets trapped by changing tides, like at Pt.Lawrence and Cypress Is.

Flies? A couple of options, downrigger hooked to a fly rod or break out the density compensated dredger or lead core. a good book is "Fly fishing for Pacific Salmon."
It has been done.

You should check it out if you have never gone--might have some fun?

good luck,
mcronariver

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
You might try a 4"-6" streamer in white and green or white and yellow with some type or flash in the middle. Hook it up to a down rigger or use lead core line to get down deep. The later it is in the day the deeper you need to go most of the time. Early morning you can at times find them closer to the surface but they seem to go down as the sun comes up. A depth sounder will help you to know what depth to fish. Since the fly will not get movement with out a flasher it helps to either bend the front of the hook slightly or add a lip to the front of the fly to give alittle movement to the fly. I have caught both Coho and Chinook with whats called a Coho fly you can get these from many fishing shops and they are used by many non fly fishers in back of a flasher. They also sell one with a plastic lip already on the fly. I used these flies long before I took up a fly rod and they still seem to work well today. Good luck and let us know how you do. I plan to take my boat out of storage in about a month when I put my snowmobile away and try my luck again in the Sound myself.

·
Registered
804 Posts
if you can get your gear guy to agree, target rips and gull activity near the surface. baitfish imitations in are good - clousers and deep candies have that jigging affect with the weighted head/eyes. If you are mooching, see if you can get a leadcore shooting head/running line set up - you can get to 90-100' with those if the tide is not running to much - toss it up stream and let is sink.

Early AM will find fish on the surface more...better for you.

If all else fails, try resident coho with a trolled fly on the surface....you might be able to put a flasher on one of the downriggers near the surface and troll you fly near it...

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.