Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend from college who lives in Fruitland Idaho, wants to meet me and the wife for a weekend of camping this summer. I thought the Blue Mountains and the Wallowa national forest would be a good place to meet up. I've driven through this area on many occasions, but that was before I was a fly fisherman. It's a big area I know, so I'm hoping some of you have camped near some lakes or streams in this part of the country. Advice would be great. I'll be doing my own research as well. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Fly Fishing:
Wallowa River, Minam River, Also the high lakes in the Wilderness Area have lots of Brook Trout. Whiskey Creek north of Wallowa has good stream fishing. Wallowa Lake, Grande Ronde River near Troy may hold some fish. Lots of fishing if you know what you are looking for. Wallowa Valley one the prettiest Valleys in the USA. Its Oregon, get your Oregon Regs and read. http://www.josephflyshoppe.com/reports.php Might check this site.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There is a fly shop in Joseph (at least the last time I went through) that could help with where to go. Agree with Keith-an extremely beautiful, remote area! You will enjoy yourself. Rick

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
There is a fly shop in Joseph (at least the last time I went through) that could help with where to go. Agree with Keith-an extremely beautiful, remote area! You will enjoy yourself. Rick
Your being "location centric". I would hardly call that area remote. They have paved roads, cell phone service, police services, schools, TV, grocery stores, etc. etc.

Anybody with an interest in the outdoors knows about it or has been there.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Your being "location centric". I would hardly call that area remote. They have paved roads, cell phone service, police services, schools, TV, grocery stores, etc. etc.

Anybody with an interest in the outdoors knows about it or has been there.
I for one have spent my entire life in love with the outdoors, and have never once stepped foot in the area. Nor have I heard of it.

There are paved roads in Dutch Harbor, Alaska, yet I wouldn't hesitate to refer to it as remote.

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
I for one have spent my entire life in love with the outdoors, and have never once stepped foot in the area. Nor have I heard of it.

There are paved roads in Dutch Harbor, Alaska, yet I wouldn't hesitate to refer to it as remote.
It is a drive away from most areas, but is hardly away from people. Beautiful area, the only mountains around here that remind me of Colorado. The campground is almost always full, booked up with reservations way in advance. I have a friend with a cabin up that way, and we visit there in the winter, when it is way away from anyone, and you can fish for steelhead on the Ronde. And the eagles are down from wilderness areas and around the lake. And the fly shop in town is good. Finally if you want a guide from the area for fishing, call Mac Huff. Good guy to be with.

Wayne

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been living in Kennewick for the last 6 years, and I never knew what a treasure the blue mountains are. Well, I have discovered them, and I have a lot more discovering to do.

Sound like you are heading to the Wallowa Lake area (Southern to Middle Blue mountain area). There is a little lake outside of Joseph called Kinney Lake. Ask the guy at the fly shop how to get there (he is a nice guy...and I would buy a few flies from him). The lake was recently stocked. It looks dirty, but I assure you the fish will find your fly. I caught over 60 fish there two weeks ago.

If you are heading to the Northern part of the Blue mountains in the Dayton area, check out the Tucannon River. It is my new favorite place to go. There is also a fly fishing only lake called Big 4. I prefer the river though. Teeming with trout. If you have a 3 weight then bring it. Stop at The Last Resort KOA campground for a snack. Great people.

If you are in a hurry, fish the Touchet river right in Dayton.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.