Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
there called resident silvers here canadian, :WINK haven't been out much for them lately for them in the last month (bass bug) but any tidel rip that collects bait along structure usually gets them for me. I was using a baby smelt pattern last time I was out and had lady luck with me that day. I have a clear mono line now but in the past have always used a 12 ft sink tip or floating line depending on how shallow or current was doing. I personally think its a matter of finding them to what flies to use. small patterns I think work better for these. mornings usually bring fish shallow and on the surface. tight lines Ben

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ahh, the Big Questions!

First, I'll tackle the "best time to fish" question. Below, find the most scientific answer available. It comes from the book [i/]The Estuary Fly Fisher[/i] by Steve Raymond. (Which, by the way, is a must-have for the bookshelf of any WA fly fisher who plies the saltchuck.)

[b/]The middle two hours of a slow moving incoming tide in the morning.

The Middle two hours of fast-moving outgoing tide in the late morning-early afternoon.[/b]

And of course, don't forget the old saying that the best time to fish is whenever you can get on the water.

As for the other questions:

I typically use a 5-wt floating or sink-tip line. I think I fare better with the sink-tip.

Streamers such as a black woollybugger with krystal flash in the tail have worked quite well for me. Also consider small chartreuse and white clousers. You may want to try amphipod and euphasiid patterns as well--which basically look like large pink or white scuds. (Just drift them in the moving currents like you're nymphing for trout.)

Hope that's of some assistance. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding, Woollyworm,

I've had alot of success using chartreuse clousers for mature coho - size 8. I've also had success with a California Eel, ( sometimes referrred to as a Beach Fly), for cohos - is it used down there for bluebacks... ooops.... i mean 'silvers'?
Do you use the amphipods and euphasids patterns for younger bluebacks and the clousers for older silvers? What size are your clousers?

When your nymphing them, are you using the floating line or the sinking tip, or do you use both for this technique? Do is the sink rate for the sink tip? And how deep is the water your fishing?

cheers

nic

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for responding, Rockfish,

..... so they're called 'silvers' ...eh,......well, i'm not really allowed to use the expression 'eh' either 'cause i'm not Canadian - i'm Scottish ( no, i'm not wearin' ma kilt!!)

Do you have any recommendations for the size and dressing of the 'smelt'?

Do you fish for them exclusively off the beach? Or do you use a float tube/ boat? At what depth do you feel the bluebacks...... emmm...i mean 'silvers' hit most?

Cheers
nic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately I cannot offer any help with the blueback situation but I am currios if the auther Steve raymond mentioned above lives in bremerton?If so,I have watched him fish the eastuary waters around here for 25 years of my 35 years.Went to boyscouts with his boy and used to feed his pet rainbows just for the thrill of watching the monsters come up to the top.He definately has the time on the water.I would have to reccomend his book as I am going looking for it right now. :COOK

·
Registered
728 Posts
hey greg what are you doing up at 4 in the morning? check out fly fishing for pacific salmon, its by a few authors its far better than the estuary fly fisher. hey canadian if you know of a place that collects bait like a blackmouth fishery that the rip is close to shore or a ledge be there at first light and you will catch fish esspecially where your fishin. I just used that smelt pattern that day because there were schools of these little fish that were different than herring ar smolts and I snagged 1 and it was a smelt. it was where they spawn here in the sound. the fly was a SS15 sw gammie size 2 sparcely tied with white yak hair then green krystal flash and 4 strands of peacock hearl then epoxy head. on the hook shank I wrapped silver tinsel arond it but I tied some wrapped in pearl flashabou, the fly is 2 inches long with the peacock going a 1/4 inch past the yak and krystal flash. so its about 2 1/4 inch. been bass fishin way to much to have tried it out thou. I prefer to be from a boat but there are a few spots that fish just as well from shore. I would never ever go out in a float tube in the salt water. mr sea lion would get mighty curious of you or even mad if its his spot which the better spots that hold alot of fish hold alot of sea lions. besides my handgun would get rusty on my strap in a float tube in the sound. tight lines Ben

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello Nic - I've been fishing for Puget Sound silvers in the salt since 1988. It's probably my favorite type of fishing in this area.

One reccomendation to increase your chances of success is to try not to limit your fly selection to clousers. Yes they are successful and you can improve upon that success by varying your depth, speed of retrieve and color of fly.

But....and here's a big key to improving your hook up rate: a good portion of their diet is euphausids (as noted by woollyworm) and shrimp. None of these move very fast and would be difficult to imitate with a clouser. The best imitations for these types of food are shrimp patterns retrieved slowly with intermittent short quick twitches. HINT: some of the best shrimp patterns for these type of imitations are made by bonefish and permit anglers. Enough said...good luck and keep us posted on your results.

Tight lines! - Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey Rockfish,

We're in float tubes in the salt up here all the time. We don't worry about the sea lions they're cream puffs compared to the shark that had a chomp on a dude's neoprene leg when it mistimed his attack on his stringer of pinks; and trying to untie your anchor rope from the kelp in the Strait when a killer whale wanders in for the same salmon can be a might hectic!
But, hey, when you're after a tyee you have to put up with a little inconvenience once in a while ...............eh? :WINK

·
Registered
728 Posts
hey canadian you are one crazy cat to be taken a foat tube in the sraits of juan de fuca and tying it off to a kelp frond. what is it like to bring in a tyee in a float tube does he pull ya around like a sled? have you been in your float tube with killer whales all checkin ya out? thats bloody nuts. have you ever had a sea lion want to play with ya and ram your tube? was the shark that bit thru the neoprene was it a salmon shark? seen on blue planet on discovery in southeast alaska at the mouth of some river with salmon rolling every where and salmon sharks chasing them down and eating them. is there many sharks around your area? have you caught many of them? Ben

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one thing you should be thankful for when you hook into a chinook in a float tube and the line's a screamin' out is that you've not been skimpy on the backin'.
I don't know what kind of shark it was. But we think it was a six- gill - they can get up to 15ft. They're normally pretty docile - divers around here sometimes, to their surprise, see them drift by in close proximity. They're usually very deep but in the summer and spring they venture into shallower waters...... when they're pissed off they're extremely aggressive and their teeth are a lot sharper than their green eyes. However, we don't know if it was a six gill, we're only guessing.
While it wasn't really something to laugh about; to see a float tube moving across the water almost as fast as a motorboat with an animated screaming fisherman tryin' to hit a shark with a six weight and who, moments before, had been flaunting a catch that had been achieved by moving through the casting area of his fellow fishermen, well, I don't think anyone on that crowded pink beach will live to witness a funnier sight or cumupance!

nic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.