Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Who makes your favorite bobbin(s)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been 20 years since I really gave any thought to bobbins in general. I've spent all this time tying with the cheapest of cheap bobbins on the market, with the exception of a Wasatch that I picked up at the Albany show a couple of years back. For one reason or another, I am starting to replace some of the older bobbins in my collection.

What are some of your favs?

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Rite as well as Stonfo bobbins. I really like being able to adjust the tension to my liking.

I tend to use the Stonfo bobbins for my larger flies and the Rites for my smaller.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Nor vice bobbin.

Takes a little getting used to. The automatic retractable thread makes it my go-to. Also, it's a bit longer and fits in my hand better.

Reactions: VanAllen

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! It's good to hear some different opinions on this. I updated the poll to account for Norvise. It's set to allow for changing your vote if need be (i assume a couple of "other" were the Norvise fans.)

·
2,189 Posts
I have some old one's that I don't even remember what kind they are but still work just fine. I think the last couple I bought were Dr. Slicks ceramic cause I have them at work. As long as they don't brake the thread I'll use em but I guess I should try some of these newer one's I've never heard of.

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some old one's that I don't even remember what kind they are but still work just fine. I think the last couple I bought were Dr. Slicks ceramic cause I have them at work. As long as they don't brake the thread I'll use em but I guess I should try some of these newer one's I've never heard of.
I am right there with you. I have 4 or 5 that are un-named and have worked just fine over the years, although I have to bend them to get the correct tension. Occasionally I will notice one breaking thread, so those typically get retired to GSP or thicker threads. I make my own bobbins for lead wire by bending an old bike spoke into shape then attaching a Bic pen cap for the tube.

I received a Stonfo earlier this week and found that it cuts thread almost immediately with very little tension or pressure. I assumed this was just a fluke and that the tube has a defect. I emailed them and already received a response and will have a replacement on its way soon. Big + 1 for Stonfo customer service! I am very hopeful that the replacement will be a fine tool and will not cut thread as this first one does. They feel great and the tension mechanism works very well.

I bought a Rite bobbin at the Lynnwood Show a couple weeks ago and have enjoyed it so far. This was my first shot at replacing one of the old bobbins that had failed. I will say that it's probably the nicest bobbin I have owned up to this point and I really appreciate the adjustable thread tension after having tied without that feature for so long. I have a feeling that my other bobbins won't be getting as much use in future.

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
It seems like there has been a bobbin explosion since the last time I looked. Lots of new designs that I haven't seen before. Here are a couple of tech bobbins for your consideration. Both are interesting especially the Tiemco but both are expensive.

http://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/view/1568
http://www.smhaen.com/products/

My personal favorites are no-name budget brand with round silver balls that hold any spool made and a ceramic tip held on with shrink tubing. Not sure if they are still available but they were less than ten bucks when I bought them.

TC

·
Registered
307 Posts
Griffin Supreme Ceramic or Tiemco Ceramic - adjust the tension by bending the arms. Never a problem. Last forever.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I voted "other" because the S & M Bobbin is hands down my favorite, not ceramic bobbin. Unfortunately, far too often folks don't even consider them or look at them because they sell for under $6.00. Yet, I have 18 of them and two of them have been used since I was 14 years old and bought them. And I used them when I was tying 1,000 dozen flies per year commercially.

For thread such as GSP, or flat-waxed nylon (210 denier), or Kevlar I think the Griffin ceramic with the two brass bands on it Griffin calls the "Magnum" is the best. And they aren't all that expensive either selling for around $12.00.

Although bobbins like the Rite bobbin and Nor Bobbin are nice, you really don't need the bells and whistles they have to tie excellent flies.

And now Wasatch is making and selling a version of the S & M, but there's is $19.95. Like all Wasatch tools, extremely well made, but since you can still buy the original for under $6.00 direct from the manufacturer, why pay for the nicer cosmetics of the Wasatch S & M. Just google up S & M Bobbin to find them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.