Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retired and thinking of making the move to Idaho. Any members in the area care to offer their experiences/opinions?
Thank you.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Other than acquiring my current furry child in that area (Star, ID), I know little about the area, Mark. If yours is a recent retirement, congratulations; if I'm late, then you have my apology & a late congratulations - in either case, enjoy. From what I've read on WFF, there are some great fishing/hunting/outdoor opportunities in the area. Question: How are you going to haul the primo man-cave/playhouse to that area? Best of luck, Friend!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mark we did a lot of research and decided to retire (again) to Boise. The weather is "moderate" the winters have a little snow but not like Montana. the summers can be warm but this summer we did not hit 100 yet.
There is a lot of moving water to fish here and in Eastern Oregon only an hour away.
We settled in Boise instead of Meridian or Nampa. Boise has a real city Meridian is 8 miles of shopping centers and cookie cutter housing developments. Nampa has some character but not what we were looking for.
Medical care is great, there is a symphony, and theater. The Saturday Farmers market is awesome and there are a few good fly shops. The state is awfully red politically but Boise is a little more liberal. The serious crime rate is very low. Traffic can be a problem for a city this size and drivers have a tendency to drive too fast (for me anyway) and use their horns and middle fingers liberally.
We like it.
jesse

BTW The area has hit the best places to live lists several times and the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the population, Housing is a little more expensive than the national average

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
We looked around the greater Boise area but it still had a pretty congested feel to it. Check out the Hagerman and Buhl areas near Twin Falls. They are situated in some amazing sections of the Snake River gorge. Property prices in ID are some of the best for the Rocky Mountain West and if you want to be really close to all the shopping amenities, etc. that the Seattle corridor offers, then most of the area within a 50 mile radius of Boise offers that. McCall is pretty cool, and just inside that reach, but lots of snow in the winter. Coeur DeLane is also nice; particularly Dalton Gardens which has very large lots. A big factor for me was not having to drive long distances to fish the rivers I most love to fish. Now I can walk to one of them.

This decision I know too well to be a challenging one. Good luck with the search and the next chapter of life!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That time on the Hoh with Mumbles, I thought you were retired then. You sounded like you were.
I was and am still. Donna just retired in Feb. so we're looking to get out of Ca. now.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I moved to Twin Falls last October. Twin Falls doesn't have the big city feel of Boise, but it has many of the same amenities of a decent sized town. The big draw for me (besides the new job) was being close to the HWY 20 route (the fly highway) and more or less equidistant to rivers to the north (Big Wood, Silver Creek, Big Lost) to the west (Owyhee, SF Boise) and east (SF Snake, Henry's Fork). The area is very affordable. If you are retiring and want to stretch your dollar Idaho is a good bet.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Mark we did a lot of research and decided to retire (again) to Boise. The weather is "moderate" the winters have a little snow but not like Montana. the summers can be warm but this summer we did not hit 100 yet.
There is a lot of moving water to fish here and in Eastern Oregon only an hour away.
We settled in Boise instead of Meridian or Nampa. Boise has a real city Meridian is 8 miles of shopping centers and cookie cutter housing developments. Nampa has some character but not what we were looking for.
Medical care is great, there is a symphony, and theater. The Saturday Farmers market is awesome and there are a few good fly shops. The state is awfully red politically but Boise is a little more liberal. The serious crime rate is very low. Traffic can be a problem for a city this size and drivers have a tendency to drive too fast (for me anyway) and use their horns and middle fingers liberally.
We like it.
jesse

BTW The area has hit the best places to live lists several times and the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the population, Housing is a little more expensive than the national average
Good choice!!

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Living in Nampa might be a good choice. Last I checked you could buy a pretty nice house for $140,000+- and is quite close to Boise anyway. I like Boise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We bought a place in Hailey with the same idea, but now that I'm getting close to retiring, thinking of selling it getting a place down closer to the Nampa/Caldwell area. not so cold in the winter,

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have a friend that just moved from Chicago to Meridien in March to be closer to his son and grand kids that live in Portland. He bought a new town home in a new development. He and his wife Seem to like it. However they are not fishers or hunters. All of their pictures to date show wide open country. They do a lot of rode trips touring the state. I told him to take up fly fishing but he has not taken my lead yet. Boise area has been getting a lot of good press lately and the population had been increasing.
DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Boise area, Called the Treasure Valley by locals, includes Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Kuna, Eagle and some other small towns has a population of over 600,000. It is way larger than I thought when we moved here. I like Boise where we live it is close to the river and has nice older established neighborhoods.
We are busy moving right now but in a couple of weeks I will be checking out more of the local waters.
jesse

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.