Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Stage 3
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone catching salmon in the rivers with a dry fly? How do you fish the bomber--riffle hitch and skate? I've caught chum down deep with big hair ball leach patterns, but I'd like to go after coho on the surface. Do coho and chum hold in similar water? I've watched saltwater anglers stripping for coho (smirk) does this work in rivers too? I've heard coho love to chase after fleeing prey.

keep it reel

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,344 Posts
I've not dry fly fished for them but was just reading an article about a guy in Alaska who won't fish for them any other way. I'll see if I can find the article. His opinion is that the only silvers worth catching are those that will rise to a dry fly.

I've fished for Coho on numerous occasions in fresh water using various flash flies etc.. Coho can be found in the same water as Chum. They can also be found in completely still water. If you're able to find a holding group of Chum, the Coho will generally sit behind them as they get tired of being chewed on by the Chum. It helps if you can spot the Coho and fish to them specifically so that you don't hook any Chum that you don't necessarily want to wrestle with. Like Chum, Coho will generally show themselves so unless you see them keep moving until you do.

As for technique, try various retrieves, some fast and some slow. Generally if the coho are going to take your fly they will do it within the first 5-10 strips. I've tried a very stacatto like retrieve of about 3 inch strips in rapid succession and/or long slow retrieves. You often have to switch things up to get their attention. Sometimes they remain lock-jawed for days and then suddenly turn on.

Hope that helps somewhat,
skinny

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.